New IP from usdieselparts.com acting up

romulus

Reaction score
i just bought a new IP from USdieselparts.com.

the pump is installed and timed.

when i rev it up and quickly let off the throttle the rpm dives down to 400-500 rpm and it almost dies when cold and the fast idle is off. it recovers back to the base idle of 700 rpm.

the air cleaner is new, the fuel filter has about 5k on it.

i called and talked to them and they said they never heard of such a thing.

the old pump did not do that, i only replaced it b/c i had a leak that i could not fix without pulling the pump so i decided to just put on a new one.

the governor adjustment has a plastic anti tamper cap on it. i suspect one turn out on that screw would fix the problem, but would most likely void my warranty. my guess is that if i keep hounding them they'll just want me to take out the pump and send it back. that would really be a bummer since it would take me another 6 hrs to remove and reinstall. then have to pay another 150 bucks to have it timed again.-cuss

you gearheads have any thoughts on the matter?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like the metering valve is sticking so... Try some fuel additive like stanadyne performance formula or howes. Double does it and just drive the truck. A cheaper way to hopefully clean out any gum in the new pump is remove the fuel filter and refill it with clean atf fluid. Run for about 1 minute and shut it down... Let it sit for an hour or two or three then restart and drive.... AFT fluid cleans really well. Are you driving much when this happens and does it happen every time you let off the throttle....

romulus

Reaction score
the pump only has about 75 miles on it.

yes it does it every time.

tow driver

Reaction score
I had the same problem check the hot idle screw make sure it contacts its bass. What I did was screw the idle screwin until the idle comes up, then back off till the desired idle is reached it worked for my trucks.

romulus

Reaction score
yep that was the first thing i did, the idle is steady a 700rpm.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
This is exactly what my truck has been doing on and off for the last year, with a new IP from a local shop. It only stopped after religious DieselKleen use, every time I fill up, even with B100. I still don't know what causes it, but as long as I have DK mixed with the fuel it's fine and idles like a champ.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Gary said, the metering valve in the IP is sticking from gunk or wear. Lube will help either cause. But even a new IP that has sat dry on a shelf for a bit will develop this problem.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...i called and talked to them and they said they never heard of such a thing...?

Really. That's shocking to think that someone who sells pumps all the time has not heard of THAT particular problem. :rolleyes:

Like Gary said, metering valve/govenor assembly is sticking, and the only known remedy will be to try to chemically clean it using the method described.

romulus

Reaction score
yes, that's what they said, i first wrote to them, then they gave the name of their expert so i called him direct.

the ONLY reason i bought from these guys is that they bore and sleeve the advance piston bore since they do wear out. from that i concluded they were a cut above all the rest of the reman IP world. so far that is not the case.

i have a bottle of "diesel clean" can't remember the brand name, is this the good stuff?

Last edited:

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my truck a couple years ago. I went on a 7 month deployment and the truck sat the entire time. When I got back and got it running again, almost every time you came to a stop at a light the engine would die. Some fresh fuel, and two cans of Amsoil diesel treatment took care of it. It gradually got better over the course of a week or so.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is happening to our old clunker this last week due to me stupidly putting in some wvo/gas mix and letting it sit in the system without flushing with diesel and using the same fuel filter I believe.

I put some diesel kleen in the tank always with pump diesel and I dumped a quart of atf in the tank, and I also filled up a new filter with it and ran it for almost a minute, turned the truck off and let it sit for a couple days.

It got a bit better and I did it again and now it seems back to normal. My pump is also original at 230,000+ miles :)

atf is some crazy stuff, we have original injectors as well and they have knocked a couple times and atf soak helped then as well.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have changed a few fuel filters this way by filling the new ones with a quart of atf. I mainly do it because its easier than dumping diesel in but also heard a long time ago that it helps lube the ip.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
IDK, my truck does it when i first start it on a cold day. I just never thought about it cause i thought it was kinda cool, you know stomp it to the floor (after it was warm), let off, it would shut down for a full sec or so then come back with a bad a$$ lope. I have a new IP, injectors, and getting a return line kit from Typ4, all the parts are waiting for another warm day...

Black dawg

Reaction score
Really. That's shocking to think that someone who sells pumps all the time has not heard of THAT particular problem. :rolleyes:

Like Gary said, metering valve/govenor assembly is sticking, and the only known remedy will be to try to chemically clean it using the method described.

that is how they respond to any issues with anything they sell.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel compelled to add one more item about filling the fuel filter... Don't pour anything into the center hole in the filter. Make whatever your pouring into the filter is poured into the outer ring of holes. Doing it this way will keep the filter working like it was designed to... Any fluid with dirt you can't see being poured into the large center hole will go directly to the injection pump. Dirt will ruin it very easily. Let the filter do its job... Injection pumps are expensive....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online