New IDI Owner

InhumaneIDI

Reaction score
Hey guys I just registered here and this is my first post. I've never owned a diesel before but I love everything about them ha. Basically if everything goes to plan this week I should be picking up my new 7.3 IDI turbo 4x4.

You must be registered for see images attach

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i48/94camry/12768601046266885524IM1MAIN565x421_.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i48/94camry/12768601048266885524IM103565x421_A5.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i48/94camry/12768601051266885524IM106565x421_A5.jpg

From what I can tell you all seem like pretty cool guys, and look forward to posting more in the future.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

Nice looking truck you found there.

Kick yer shoes off and stay awhile - this is a pretty easy going group with tons of knowledge when it comes to the IDI's.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Good luck on your new purchase. ;Sweet Looks like a winner.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the best idi site. Plenty of useful information here and there are no silly questions. Every question is given plenty of thought so the answers come the same way. The only dumb question is the one not asked... Like "how do I time the injection pump gear now that I pulled it off the motor???"..... Yeah... Thats a question nobody likes to answer.....

InhumaneIDI

Reaction score
Alright guys so I just had the truck inspected an i'm unsure if i'm going to get it or look for another truck.

1.The exhaust is rusted in half so It would need a new exhaust which isn't a big deal.

2.Right Rear Axle is leaking fluid... i'm kind of concerned about this

3. Electric doors aren't working.

4. Fuel leak on the right side of the engine.. he said it would be fuel filter, a drain vale, or a hose running to the injectors.

5. Theres some play in the steering wheel but not too bad, and may need rear shoes due to the axle leak.

There asking 4500 i don't know if i should take it or pass and wait on something else..any opinions? I need something reliable to get me back and forth to school might wait on a powerstroke.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are all really minor repairs. Pretty typical of a vehicle that is being sold. It would be hard to find one that didn't need something.

Exhaust system - even if it was OK, you'd probably want to redo it anyway.
Door locks or windows - often a bad switch or could even be a fuse. Inexpensive repair.

Right Rear axle seal - no biggie. You'd be wanting to completely go over all 4 wheels anyway, and a new seal is cheap and easy. A brake job is a given.

Fuel leaks - You'd be replacing your injector returns, and fuel filter on anything you get anyway.

$4500 is reasonable if it is in the condition the pics make it appear that it is. The above repairs are gonna cost you about $500 total.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI's are for the guys that cant leave stuff alone Ha Ha! seems they all have their problems. thing is you can actually work on them! welcome to the site, that a nice truck whats the mileage?

InhumaneIDI

Reaction score
The IDI's are for the guys that cant leave stuff alone Ha Ha! seems they all have their problems. thing is you can actually work on them! welcome to the site, that a nice truck whats the mileage?

172,000 I'm not going to pull the trigger on it just yet i'm still looking in my area but if nothing turns of by next week i'll prob go ahead with it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
172,000 I'm not going to pull the trigger on it just yet i'm still looking in my area but if nothing turns of by next week i'll prob go ahead with it.
welcome-
if I was looking at the truck and I had that much to work with, I'd be offering $3k for the truck and be willing to walk if they don't bite. The items you mentioned is PM work on all our trucks, but I price it as if I was sending out out to be worked on. The IDI won't eat you out of house and home like a PSD will and if you're on a college student budget, the IDI will be better on your wallet. Ultimately the decision is yours, but what you're presenting, the truck isn't a bad buy overall.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You have not posted the truck year but I assume its a 94 because you state its turboed. Look at the motor serial number found on the drivers side of the injection pump gear cover. It will say 7.3 then some numbers that must be higher than 1,116,331. If the numbers are lower than this its not a turbo block and has had a motor replaced in it at one time or two.

InhumaneIDI

Reaction score
You have not posted the truck year but I assume its a 94 because you state its turboed. Look at the motor serial number found on the drivers side of the injection pump gear cover. It will say 7.3 then some numbers that must be higher than 1,116,331. If the numbers are lower than this its not a turbo block and has had a motor replaced in it at one time or two.

Sorry, yes it is a 1994. Also has the turbo diesel badge under the F250 logo.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Get the serial numbers off the block so we can tell you what year the motor is. Any motor be it 6.9 or 7.3 will fit and you wont be able to tell what differance there is between them. Seeing as you are kinda new at this... We all were new at one time and this site has helped everyone of us more times than we can count....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online