New Hitch Install Question

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Im installing a new Curt 15300 Class V hitch, as my old one was rusty and flaking off in big chunks, and I didnt like the thought of it letting go while towing.

I bought a new Curt hitch, and when I go to line it up, the old holes dont fit the new holes. of course lol

My question: Is it ok to Hog out the holes to get my new bolts in. There are Flat Steel plates the carriage bolts slip into, so the weight will be spread out some, my main concern is the rear most holes which are 9/16 bolts, and there isnt a lot of steel back there to be making swiss cheese out of my frame.

Pictures of what I'm referring too, The top picture hole to the left(one with paint missing around it) is my main concern, as you cant even really see the hole because it is so far off
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Oh and im supposed to leave today to trailer my Jeep to VT :)

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the hitch is rated at/in an unmolested condition, modifying it will weaken its capacity in an accident/max stress issue.
Did you call curt?
Is the pn correct for year of rig?
I think welding up the frame and redrilling the holes is your best bet.
Not time apropriate (either way)given the timeline set forth.
That was an issue I ran into with mine if I recall,I had to drill all the holes.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I want to hog out the frame not the hitch

You have to drill the holes out anyways for the larger bolts, the factory gives you small pilot holes as you can see in the last hole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
DO NOT DRIL OR ENLARGE FRAME HOLES! As CLB suggested is it right hitch? The proper way is to enlarge hitch hole and use heavy 1/4" thick washers against hitch. Then weld washers to the hitch. Welding on frames should be avoided if it can be. Welding on hitch is not a problem. You can use it with just washers but welding is the right way.
I have done this on 40 ton girders on 80 story buildings with the engineer of records approval. As long as the washers are at least 1/4 " or more thick square or round it don't matter. You can make them out of flat plate but drill center hole to proper size do not burn them with a torch.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Yes the hitch is the correct hit ch. I double checked it, and if you go to e trailer you can see the hitch install on a identical truck.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ the man speaks from experiance, I'd be inclined to listen.
Fwiw the 93 was not perfect either, I personally feel curts design( killing the spare tire lock) SUX!
They did what was needed to get a great hitch out, could'a done some wording as to fitment,,,, but!
Perhaps a jeep road-trip? Then regroup later.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put many a hitch on in the 15 yrs of having an RV service. Never did I have a frame bolt hole problem lining up to hitch holes. Back then IIRC there was no Class V hitches, Class IV always lined up. If your old hitch isn't that rusty, I'd reinstall it and deal with the new when you get back. Old hitch would have to be pretty bad not to pull a car trailer with a Jeep on it.

IIRC the Class IV had/has 1/2" bolts, where the Class V has 9/16" bolts, enlarging the frame holes is acceptable to fit the 9/16" bolts, but not to waller them out like it looks you would have to do.

Temporarily, looks like you could drop the hitch down a little and drill out the end holes to 9/16", in the top pic, just leave the one bolt out, 2nd in from the right. Actually the plates for the carriage bolts are for frame strength and to keep the bolt from turning while tightening. That should get you buy for the trip.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I know there's bad examples to everything.
But if the person knows what they're doing, it's perfectly doable.
Seen plenty of welds on frames that were no issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

yeah... it's kinda my go to when pieces don't fit right, just run some 7018 or .045 around the entire assembly, but I've got the experience to not worry about it, run the bead and give 'er a brass brush polish

If you don't have the experience, just remember the millwright creed: "A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't!" :rotflmao

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that fit into the union woodbutchers credo on the tracts" cant see it from my house"???
:rotflmao

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I had to drill new holes in my frame to line up I believe. I don't think I had to Waller anything. I put that same hitch on where a 91 factory hitch (I assume) was. I used the back two holes enlarged to 9/16" the other holes I think were actually 1/2". Had the reinforcing plates to go up in the frame for reinforcement and anti rotation. I had to grind just a little off the rear ones to fit around the cross member. It's in my build thread somewhere.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Well to update the thread. I called Curt MFG the maker of the hitch. As I should have from the beginning.

The tech said as long as I'm not making swiss cheese out of my frame I'm fine. The 1/4 to 3/8 I had to extend the holes was no big deal. The front most hole isn't slotted so it should hold it in place and not slide even if it wanted to.

And if I was super worried about it I could place a piece of flat stock on the frame and use it to spread the load, I didn't have to go that route, because when I looked at the holes it wasn't really that bad