New guy checking in...

daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Hi all. New guy here. Thought I'd introduce myself, and my truck. I've been on the Powerstroke forums, just found this site recently. Can't offer much in the way of advice, as my truck is my first diesel that wasn't Army issue. I am looking to learn. I'm U.S. Army retired/disabled, did 28 years. Married, with two in high school. (three counting the wife, teacher) I am building my truck to be an off road exploration vehicle. My goal is to be able pack up and take off for a week or two, camping out of the truck. I call it an FSV. (Family Support Vehicle) It is also a money pit. I love, it but Lord, diesels are expensive. It is a late '99 F-250 Super Duty. It has the 7.3L Powerstroke, is a crew cab short bed 4x4. I got it stock, cheap, but rust free, with a 7 cyl engine. :( I had another engine, a 400+ hp "Black Mamba", built and installed by The Horsepower Shop in Erie PA. It is backed by an ATS 5 star 4R100 with their billet flexplate and TC. It has a cold air intake, Banks Technicooler, and a 5" stainless exhaust. It has been lifted 4" and runs on 315/75R16 Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains on steel Rock Crawler wheels with cop car trim rings. It has Fox Racing 2.0 shocks with remote reservoirs. I put on Power Slot rotors and pads to help it stop. It has Ranch Hand bumpers, the front fitted with 4 Rigid Industries LED spots. I had her rust proofed, the quarters Rhino Lined, and a Leer cap put on her at Zeibart. On top is a Yakima roof rack that carries my 35" tall 110# spare. (gotta change this, it cost me 2/3 mpg) In the bed is mounted a Craftsman tool box, fully stocked. My air compressor is from Viar, and runs my rear ARB air locker, just installed with 4.30 gears. Front to come by fall. Currently I'm halfway through building storage boxes for the sides of the bed that house the compressor, house battery, and inverter. My house battery, and both engine batteries are Optima Yellow Tops. Stereo is a Pioneer head unit, that controls an Ipod. I have Eclipse speakers in Q-Forms kick panels and a JL Audio Stealth Sub in the center console. Also a Cobra 29 Night Tracker CB. Work in progress, but labor of love.

You must be registered for see images attach

I just had to take this shot... for the wife.:)

Here she is, hard at work. Good thing I got enough truck!

Glad to find this forum, hope to learn and share.

daddyusmaximus

Reaction score

Can't tell you much about it. It was the one they sold at the shop. They threw it in when there was some scheduling issues. I can tell you that you can really hear the air getting sucked in. I will probably switch it out in the future. Ford has an extreme duty filter set up I've read about on other forums. Supposed to be the best for filtering. Depends, I want to do a snorkel, haven't determined if the two are compatible. Going for the cleanest air, not the most. I don't race or pull, so that little bit of flow won't cramp my style.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah, I see.

Yes, the Ford AIS intake. I want one also, just not in the budget right now.
It flows more air than the tymar/6637 intakes.
Also has the best filtering capabilities available.
I would think you could snorkel it, just have to get creative.

I like the rigid lights. Played with them in northern tool one day.

Have you had any problems with the optimas?
I've heard at least the idi guys haven't had much luck with them. Something about the extra vibrations of a diesel engine.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's good.

Any thoughts on a swing away tire carrier like the broncos have?

It's gotta be a pain to get that thing down. Has to be a three person job, one to get the tire down, one to change tires, and one more to put bad tire back up there. LOL

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
That's good.

Any thoughts on a swing away tire carrier like the broncos have?

It's gotta be a pain to get that thing down. Has to be a three person job, one to get the tire down, one to change tires, and one more to put bad tire back up there. LOL

One person can get that tire down. Three to put it back up .:D

daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
I can get it down, or put it up... it just ain't fun, and it cost me 2 or 3 mpg. It also makes me too tall for most drive-throughs. Hoping to have a rear bumper with a tire swing out on it in less than a year. I like the one made by Aluminess. Rather have steel than aluminum, but I love the design.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really a sweet truck, like the brush/roaming cow guard.
Welcome to the OB.