New Fuel system and still lots of smoke???

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have completly replaced the fuel system on my truck and I am still getting a hard start and having to use a little shot of ether to get it going. Once running it runs great. The compression was checked and is good and I have also put new injectors in. The bad thing is while the truck is running it is Dumping a **** load of dark greyish smoke out all the time. Could my timing be to retarded?? It almost acts like the new injection pump is over fueling the truck. Any thoughts would be great.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it could be timing, as for the starting are your glow plugs working correctly?
i tested mine last night and found 2 were bad and now it starts like a dream even un plugged

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Did you time the truck after the system replacement.... If you just lined upthe marks on the gear housing then it needs to be timed. Do this before you try to advance it. Take a center punch and make a mark in the joint between the pump and the gear cover. Now as you move the pump the circle will move and look like its cut in half. This is the easiest way to actually see the pump movement. And if you want to its easy to get it back to wear it was. Mel thought of this great idea. Its called witness marking a part... All the rods usually have these marks on them if some shop has rebuilt them...

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I installed 8 new motorcraft glow plugs also. We did align the marks on the pump and the housing but have not adjusted it from there yet. Would the timing really cause that much smoke and a very hard start?? I mean it dumps smoke almost like it is getting way to much fuel.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Would the timing really cause that much smoke and a very hard start??

Yes. Timing is everything on these engines. OK, almost everything. It took me a few tries after my IP replacement to get it to a workable time, by ear cuz I can't afford a meter.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I am going to agree with timing... it looks like overfueling because in a way it is... the injection is hitting late and the engine does not have enough time to burn all of the fuel and the result is what you describe.

...of course that is strictly theoretical

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should I try advancing it a little then. It cranks and cranks and I have to give a little shot of ether to get it started. Also it doesn't start puffing any smoke until after it cranks a little. Would that still be timing related. Maybe I need to take a video of it so you guys can see.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
should I try advancing it a little then. It cranks and cranks and I have to give a little shot of ether to get it started. Also it doesn't start puffing any smoke until after it cranks a little. Would that still be timing related. Maybe I need to take a video of it so you guys can see.

Does it ever quite smoking after warmed up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online