New Filter!

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I just got ahold of a new filter that was on its way out to the scrap yard at work. It's essentially an over-sized bypass filter for an industrial sized gearbox at a power generation facility. Here is the filter: http://www.cjc.dk/products/fine-filters/hdu-27/ and it's pretty badass. I've discovered I can't use the motor for the attached pump because it runs off of 3-phase 400/690v. It's a .25hp motor, but it's proving hard to find a replacement...The only thing I can find runs 230/400v 3-phase, but I can use a 240v phase converter to win that little battle.

Has anyone ever used filters like this to clean their WMO? I was planning on using it in conjunction with my centrifuge (not inline, but in parallel I guess). It runs 1/3 gal/min of synthetic x320 gear oil, so I'm assuming WMO will not phase it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3z20w87wrktjf9/HDU27_PSST1001UK.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8nvcvd7ed...1500-Wind-Turbine-Gearbox-ASWI9004UK.pdf?dl=0

I'll post more as I get further into this. First I need to track down a motor, then I'll need to visit the Parker store to have hoses made...

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't replace the motor, if it's sub 3HP, you can get an inverter drive to run it cheaper than you can find the replacement single phase motor, AND with the inverter you can vary the speed.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while back in a random search I found inverter drivers for 70 bucks, I cannot relocate that source as of yet though.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was looking at. They're about $150 now. My issue with the motor is the voltage. Our motors at work run 400/690v which I cannot support at home, unless you have any ideas.... I thought I found a replacement that was 240/400v, but the guy won't tell me what the size of the motor is.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you spend a few dollar more on the inverter, the output voltage can be set, running it at 20% over voltage would be a lot worse than running it undervoltaged, IF you can't find one with a non settable voltage.

What in the world is the motor wound for such a non standard voltage?

is the motor delta and Y configurable?

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were my pump, I would simply wire it for 690V, and feed it with 480V. That's 30% undervoltaged, but at that small of a HP, heat shouldn't be an issue.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
It's from a siemens wind turbine. This is their gear oil offline (bypass) filtration unit. I'm having a hard time finding anything for 3 phase that goes above 240v output. I could make it work with a dry-type transformer, but they're stupid expensive and big. And yes the motor is delta and y configurable. I believe it's 400 delta and 690 y.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, you could back feed a 480 to 240 transformer. From my experience with inverter drives, it MAY balk, we had some units that when the TVA plant would run the switch gear many many miles away the inductance shift would trip every conveyer drive in the plant off. EVERY morning at 628 AM. Robots would start crashing parts into the conveyor meyhem etc etc. all due to a shift in input inductance. I forget who made them, but they were the ceapest ones I could order from Grainer at the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online