New engine issues

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Well I got my new (only about 3000 miles on it) engine in but now I'm having some issues. Ran great the first couple days till just the beginning of this week. Truck fires up great, idles great, cruises around town great but its killin me on the highway. Around 60-65 the truck just starts sputtering and sometimes blowing a large white cloud of smoke but still runs with lower power.

This happens at mostly the higher RPMs and light load but its very noticeable on hills also, also my cruising egt's seem to be a couple hundred degrees more than normal. I thought it might be pickups in the tank but I filled it to the brim last night with no change.

Fresh fuel filter filled with Power Service when the engine was first started so the pump should be pretty clean. Any ideas?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How many miles are on the injection pump and injectors... Any chance the timing slipped. Can you check the timing with a meter....

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
The pump and injectors were rebuilt with the engine about 3000 miles ago. I dont have a meter for timing

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go with timing also. Had a 12 valve slip, and ran similar to what you describe, along with the elevated EGT's.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it ran good at first, then your IP is shot. No question about it. Sounds like a malfunction with the Advance piston. Cheaper rebuilds often do not touch this component, so just because it was rebuilt, doesn't mean it was rebuilt right

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Very true Agnem. I thought it acted like fuel issues but thats why I came to you guys! Well I have a couple of pumps laying around including the one that worked flawlessly from my old engine. Might have to make that a project for next week.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have access to another pump, I wouldn't hesitate to try it out. ;Sweet

suv7734

Reaction score
Have you checked the pressure and volume of the lift pump? If the hose is kinked or the pump is shot it will be just like running out of fuel at higher RPM or under a heavy load.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds an awful lot like a clogged fuel filter to me, although that really wouldn't explain the EGT change. I know its new, but I would change it out first. Then verify the lift pump is working properly and replace it. At that point I would go after an injection pump.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Hmmm luckily I have brand new lift pump sitting behind the seat. Plus the extra injection pumps. Could be a long week next week

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A spare lift pump sitting behind the seat.... A man I can believe in...:sly I live to drive my truck with "spare" behind the rear seat.....:D:angel:

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
For a while when I first got the truck I had just about every fuel system component behind the seat, lift pump, IP, injectors...

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Ok took a sound clip last night, cruising at 45mph in second. Crappy quality off my cell and my a$$hole exhaust makes it sound like its gonna explode but you get the idear

Attachments

• Voice005.wav
    110.2 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online