New clutch kit, flywheel, rear seal

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I vote on leaving it alone if not actually leaking. They almost never leak. And my experience has been bad with replacing them. In the past 30 years I have put seals in just about every diesel engine you can imagine. I did the "while we are here" deal on the rear seal on my own truck and ended up with a leaker.

I have also seen a leak created at the seal plate to oil pan joint by the vibration and flexing of pounding in the seal.

If you are worried about it plug off the CDR valve and put no more than 3 PSI of air pressure in the crankcase by coupling an air pressure regulator to the dipstick tube. Check the amount of pressure by removing the oil filler cap. A small build up of air should escape. About like you blew into a coke bottle and then let it go. Now go over anything you think might leak with soapy water. Amazing trick I've used for years. Just don't over pressurize and create leaks....

south bend clutch

Reaction score
It looks like the wrong clutch fork. The fork in the pic looks like it is for a the later 87 with the ZF5. The prongs would be to wide for the throwout bearing.

Peter

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like the wrong clutch fork. The fork in the pic looks like it is for a the later 87 with the ZF5. The prongs would be to wide for the throwout bearing.

Peter

Yes you are correct, the part number I posted earlier (E7TZ-7515-A) is not the right part for the T-19 four speed, it is for the Five speed.

I was unable to locate genuine Ford part, so I ordered this one ATP-ZA126 from Summit. It came with a cracked keeper spring (see pic) so I sent it back, just waiting for the new one to get here so I can get this thing done before it snows again.

Attachments

• 20160122_123715.jpg
    20160122_123715.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 49

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
If it's for a ZF5 that's all the better. I was a little hasty in my question as I didn't pay attention to the fact that you're working on a 4-speed :D

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's for a ZF5 that's all the better. I was a little hasty in my question as I didn't pay attention to the fact that you're working on a 4-speed :D

I'll sell you mine for $22, If I have to pay shipping to send it back, it may as well get shipped to someone who can use it.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Yeah me too! Now if I could just get the truck back into the barn. Backed it out to put up my grand parents x-mas decorations and the ground thawed under it. Tore up the yard, got it stuck, grandfather got their truck stuck and tore up more of the yard. It's a mess. Have to let it sit in its ruts until it refreezes or dries out, then get it to fire on enough cylinders to move itself. It's been a day.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah me too! Now if I could just get the truck back into the barn. Backed it out to put up my grand parents x-mas decorations and the ground thawed under it. Tore up the yard, got it stuck, grandfather got their truck stuck and tore up more of the yard. It's a mess. Have to let it sit in its ruts until it refreezes or dries out, then get it to fire on enough cylinders to move itself. It's been a day.

Got my clutch fork in today, trying to work up the courage to drop the T-case & tranny tomorrow.

Ford service manual says to drain T-case & Tranny prior to removal. I'm wondering how necessary this is? I'm not worried about weight, I plan on taking them out separately and I have a hydraulic trans. jack. The plan is to have the rear wheels up on ramps, then jack the front end up a touch until the crank is about level. Doesn't seem to me much oil would run out?

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Only place any should leak out is maybe the tcase. If the seals are worn.
Don't have to drain them either, but would be a good time to change it, if you haven't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only place any should leak out is maybe the tcase. If the seals are worn.
Don't have to drain them either, but would be a good time to change it, if you haven't.

Changed them last winter, had the hand pump on my gallon bottle, after doing them both my forearm was shot for a week.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've never been ok with ramps and anything larger than a lawn tractor. When I was younger, our jack was having one of those days (it's about 80-90 years old now) and jack stands were in use, so we attempted to put my buddy's Ramcharger on ramps. Thankfully no one was standing in line with the truck when it shot them out! When we managed to get the jack to work and set the truck on them it crushed them both about halfway to the ground. Those were heavier, not stamped sheet ramps too. When I dropped the tranny on the Enterprise, I just lifted the front and set it on stands, but I'm a small guy :D

I thought I read somewhere that to change the clutch fork you can do it with the tranny in the truck. Maybe just the ZF5?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Only thing I've had to jack up is the engine. Well the frame if I needed to pull the trans out from under the truck.