New BB injectors, bad smoke, need advice

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well the reading I have done here tells me you got more smoke with a "rebuilt" set of injectors.... You have no idea how many miles are on the pump. You do not know what thee timing is but you and moved the pump. You did not tell us what direction you moved the pump. You do appear to by able to work on your engine. So from what I read my best guess is time the engine to 9.0 degrees advance. If that does nothing then get a new set of injectors. Finally get a rebuilt injection pump. This is doing the cheapest item all the way to the most expensive item. Actually the cheapest thing to do is change the fuel filter and refill it with auto trans fluid. Restart the engine and run till the engine sound changes. Then allow the atf to sit in the injection pump and injectors over night to clean out any probable mess that probably has built up in the injection pump. ATF has a great cleaning ability. Thats why we recommend using it like I posted. Mostly what I gather from what you posted is the engine smokes worse AFTER you installed a rebuilt set of injectors.

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty much. right after I installed the injectors it ran great, almost no smoke. but then it started getting worse after about three days. I have been advancing the timing, rotating the pump toward the PS. thanks for the tip about the atf... i had no idea.

I just read a short thread about a guy who fixed his smoking issue with new rocker arms. he noticed oil oozing out between the block and the exhaust manifold on the #1 cyl. I got a little bead of oil coming out in the same spot. could this all be a lose or bent rocker arm not operating the valve properly?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a rare occasion. I guess if you want to find out, pull the valve cover.

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled the valve cover and everything checked out. I replaced the fuel filter and filled it with ATF. It started and ran really loud for a couple seconds then smoothed out and hardly smoked at all. I got really excited. But then the ATF must have run out. When it started burning regular D2 the smoke came back with a fury-cuss

I did talk with the PO and he said including the miles that I've put on the truck, the IP has less than 10k miles on it. I want to put some clear hoses on my return lines to check for air and try to check fuel pressure at the Schrader valve to see if the mechanical fuel pump is shot. After that I might have to concede that I screwed up when I bought reman injectors.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did talk with the PO and he said including the miles that I've put on the truck, the IP has less than 10k miles on it.

Not to sound like an ass here, but just because the previous owner SAYS the I.P. is 'new-ish' doesn't make it so, the guy may have cheaped out and scrounged one from a salvage yard and sold it to you soon-after, thus making the pump an OLD pump, masqueraded as a 'new-ish' one. "Oh yeah, I got a replacement pump and it was installed 4,500 miles before I sold it to you" - ETC.

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PO is a good friend of mine that I trust. He was very straight forward about all the issues this truck had before I bought it so that I was fully informed. Regarding the IP, he couldn't remember if it was new or a reman, but it was installed by the local Chevy dealer who has a very good reputation around here for quality work. He said he'd find the paperwork for me so I'd know for sure, and see if the IP is possibly still under warranty.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'well there's your problem, it was a CHEVY dealer. LOL LOL LOL LOL Sorry, but I love busting balls sometimes; though I do believe that if you're taking it to be serviced at a dealer, have it be for the make of the ride. cookoo

Black dawg

Reaction score
Should be able to rotate the pump further than you have, but I have never seen a healthy pump that needed to be rotated further than that, unless the pump gear and cam gear were not lined up correctly. really need to get a meter on it, to know were to go from here.

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^:rotflmao:rotflmao

I put a gauge on my fuel filter housing today. 1.5 maybe 2 psi with just the key on. Dropped to zero when I started the truck. I'm thinking my mechanical fuel pump might be toast.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'well there's your problem, it was a CHEVY dealer. LOL LOL LOL LOL Sorry, but I love busting balls sometimes; though I do believe that if you're taking it to be serviced at a dealer, have it be for the make of the ride. cookoo

chevy's used the same ip on their (detroit i should say) diesels back in the idi era too......so easy a chevy dealer can do it!:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There comes a point where the effort to save money is eclipsed by time and energy expended to put value where there was none. I hate reading that you pulled your valve covers trying to fix this. What you really should do, is replace the pump and injectors with quality parts, and then just be done with it for tens of thousands of miles and a decade or more. Yes I know not everybody has around $1000 laying around, BUT how many days of your time are you willing to part with before the problem beats you into submission and you end up doing it anyway? If you get a new set of injectors and still have the problem, then what?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sometimes you just can't ring the quality out of a ****. Its just not there to begin with.....:eek::angel:;Really