New 6.9 IH Diesel Owner....Few Questions!

1992camarors

Reaction score
Ok well first of all I want to run a single stack out of the hood of my 6.9 1986 Ford F350. Is this possible? If any body has done this please post the information because I want to perform this on my truck. Next question, is their an easier way of running propane on it without all those safety valves and such? I was thinking just one silenoid for the propane and running a small jet in the line going to the intake would work. Would this work like a dry nitrous system? I'm sorry about all these odd questions, but I know you guys know these trucks much better than I do and I don't want to screw up a nice truck from my ignorance to ask questions.
Thanks

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
First of all,
WELCOME!!!!!! to the best place for any information you need on these great old trucks.

Next, the Propane topic has been covered. Your best bet is to use the "search" button, and look in the 6.9 forum. I think you will find an abundance of information. By the way, this is not intended as a rebuke of any kind. You are new here, and can't be expected to know all the ropes. While I am on the topic, read the "stickies" at the top of the page. Mel ( and others) have put together a wealth of valuable information for new owners.

As for the single stack thru the hood... I can't help you on that one.

You are also close enough to join us for the Mid Atlantic Get together in July. Look at the "sticky" and see if it fits your schedule. We'd love to meet you.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome!!! cant help you with propane but i can tell you that running a stack out of the hood would be diffucult. if you had a turbo it would be easier, you could also get some turbo uppipes and get something to work

i see your in van wert, i used to work at a school bus dealer that sold some busses to van wert's school district

good luck

matt

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

You can run one stack out the hood - as stated it would be much easier if you had a turbo because the turbo exits the exhaust as one pipe that you could just plumb up through the hood to soot the windshield.

As for propane yep you can run just one solenoid to turn it on and off.

Are you making a pulling truck?

Reason I ask is because you were asking about a single stack out the hood. Never seen one as a daily driver on the road before.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the way the turbo sits on most of the kits, I dont think you'll be able to get a pipe routed up and out the hood. I know the factory or ATS kit has the outlet tucked down behind the engine I dont think theres room to route it back up with the heater box there.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the way the turbo sits on most of the kits, I dont think you'll be able to get a pipe routed up and out the hood. I know the factory or ATS kit has the outlet tucked down behind the engine I dont think theres room to route it back up with the heater box there.

Just run it through the firewall into the cab.:rotflmao sorry couldn't help myself.

Welcome. I am sure if there is an answer to that question you'll get it here.

You could turn the manifolds around (i think they'll fit that way) and run 2 pipes out the hood easily. I am sure you could find a way to connect them somewhere first but you're on your own there.

Or get a factory or ATS crossover pipe, the Y connector from the manifolds and run the single pipe up where the turbine inlet pipe for a turbo would normally go. Then if you had a cold air intake instead of the big air cleaner over the engine you could snake it on through the hood.

Last edited:

1992camarors

Reaction score
Hey I'm really glad you guys welcomed me in such a nice way! I did find the propane post about the design and install of one. Thats helps a lot, thanks. To answer what this truck is going to be used for, I want it to be a decent daily driver but yet I want the pulling capabilties and looks of a pulling truck. I would build my own turbo setup if I were to add one to my truck. I'm very famailer with turbo's and installing them, so that wouldn't be a problem. But I was thinking propane would just be overall a better value. Although again, I haven't been around these trucks too long, I'm sure you guys would know what works best on these engines. Is anyone running nitrous on there IDI here? I'm running it on my Camaro and haveing great results so far. Although my truck is a 2WD dually, I still plan on trying to pull it. In my mind if I have the right tires back there and a good locker, I should do decent. Also a lot of weight! What do you guys think?
Thanks

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well if you could manage to rig up your own turbo system, that would be the best bang for the buck. If you think about it, you will recieve about the same or more power from a turbo and turning up the pump compared to if you were going to just use propane, which costs money to fill.

That being said, theres an old saying that I'm sure you are familiar with......speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Whats your budget on this thing?

A good running IDI with a turbo will put out about 200hp to the rear wheels, and with propane that number goes to about 220hp, thats with the stock pump. You can buy a performance pump, like the moose pump, or a dps pump, and some G code or dps stage one injectors (the only performance injector available for our trucks, some love them, others have had a bad experience with them and despise them). That could possibly put you in the 240-250hp range to the rear wheels, with basically bolt on parts.

If I were you I would kinda not want to do nitrous. It just gives your engine a good excuse for lifting the heads, especially pulling. That being said, I've only heard one guy run nitrous on his IDI. He said that it worked good, except if he injected to much the engine would stall on him. Instead of nitrous if your looking at pulling for fun, then I would look at water/**** injection. It will net you some power increase, probably not as much as nitrous, but it will keep the EGT's lower so you can put more fuel into the engine.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It'd look pretty cool coming out the hood but if you had the pump turned up any, you might have trouble explaining to the cops why you rear ended 6 people in a week :bail :fan: :rotflmao

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont use a "G" injector, the hole is only about .005" bigger, but the pintle is rounded rather than v shaped to restrict fuel flow.

Nitrous is safe on a diesel. The worst you can do is put out the fire. All nitrous on a diesel will do is add more air (oxygen) to an over fueled motor and cool the intake charge. Thats why computer controled engines usually use a "nitrous tune" that over fuels the motor to get the most from it. It is not legal for use in sanctioned pulling events.