Need help Wiring an IDI from a powerstroke

ibecleaningup

Reaction score
Hello all. I am trying to finish the install of a 7.3 IDI in a Powerstroke truck. We have done everything else and are ready to do the wiring but didn't want to start on it until I had gotten input form others with more experience.

Thanks in advance, James

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well you can take out the psd engine harness and computer.

You may hook up the tach and coolant temp sensors.

Is it a zf or auto trans?

There's a few people here that have done this exact swap. They should be along shortly.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know were an IDI engine harness is I might be able to get it next time I go out to the junk yard

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you trying to get the gauges working ot what cause all an idi needs to run is power to the ip for the shut off solenoid and power to the starter. for the gauges i would remove the oil press, water temp, etc from psd and put in corresponding points in idi

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The powerstroke guages are ran by a computer and the idi guages are old school. Sorry but thats all i can say as electrical stuff like this swap befuddle me

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make a custom gauge dash for tac,boost,oil pressure,volt,water temp,egt,speedo,fuel

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the psd runs through a computer for the gauges. The computer gets the input from the sending units. Put psd sending units on the idi. So the computer reads the sending units on the idi then it tells the gauges where to be. Same theory of putting a carbed engine in an efi truck. Makes the dash work but I would also recommend manual gauges.

That psd engine bay has to have a couple key on 12vdc you could put to the injection pump

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why not install a idi dash to fix the gauge issues. The interiors will fit the idi dash I believe. Or simply go with aftermarket gauges. Most of us use the aftermarket gauges because the oem stuff really never told us much information anyway. A pointer telling us the coolant is on the "N" or on the "L" really isn't telling us much that we can use. how hot or cold are the letters anyway.