Need help making a decision

sootman73

Reaction score
just throwing this out there but you could have gotten a $2800 truck with all the stuff you put into this old truck. i have learned to not put money like that into an old truck. its just a waste of money and it will never stop.... i'm not so religious when it comes to these trucks anymore......

and i second the smaller car for mileage thing. i got a MB 300E for $1500 and it gets about 21mpg with fuel delivery issues. it saves me about $35-40 every week in fuel costs. plus it saves wear and tear on the truck(you know truck tires are much much more expensive than car tires)

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
just throwing this out there but you could have gotten a $2800 truck with all the stuff you put into this old truck. i have learned to not put money like that into an old truck. its just a waste of money and it will never stop.... i'm not so religious when it comes to these trucks anymore......

and i second the smaller car for mileage thing. i got a MB 300E for $1500 and it gets about 21mpg with fuel delivery issues. it saves me about $35-40 every week in fuel costs. plus it saves wear and tear on the truck(you know truck tires are much much more expensive than car tires)

actually over the time this post has been going on i have come to realise that i wont be selling this truck, i have put to much work into it, and i love it to much, yes its an old truck, but you cant get nothing better, and you cant just go buy a brand new 86 ford diesel anymore, so im going to keep it and ride out my low money situation

FordGuy100

Reaction score
1989 should technically be an E4OD but there are exceptions. If this is indeed an E4OD that has not been rebuilt since the factory, walk away - period! Don't give it another thought.

Fixing and updating an E4OD of that era will not be cheap even if you can do all the work yourself. Rare examples can beat the odds but you are still playing the odds for that era.

Do you absolutely have to have a truck right now? I would suggest taking insurance off your truck and buying a puddle hopper car. Not as "cool" but the up front price is comparable or less, and fuel cost drop by half at least. I bought a clean, running saturn SL1 that got almost 40 MPG for $750. Wasn't perfect, but that thing probably would have run fine for at least another year. My dad reamed on that thing on the way home too:rotflmao

Zippy cars if you avoid the autos (what else is newLOL)

I agree, if its a E4OD that hasnt been rebuilt, walk away. Especially if its shifting hard, like said, it could be nothing, could be something real bad.

I second the commuter car. When my GF doesnt drive her car and I can, I do. 2000 Kia Sephia, 200K+ miles on it. That thing is a f'n beast. 30mpg, 26 with A/C on. 5 speed. Her brother did an oil change (well drained it), and didnt refill, her dad took it to work (20 miles). That was at 120K miles, and its still running good. Plus its dented up so I dont have to worry about that ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online