Need a Washer or reinforcing disc for my flywheel

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm needing a washer for my flywheel. It's the washer that goes under the flywheel bolt heads and the flywheel. My T-19 flywheel never had one. I'm switching to a ZF and would like to make sure I do it right when I swap in the 5 speed clutch.

The picture shows the washer under all the flywheel bolt heads. Or if anyone has a part number for this that would be awesome.

Thanks
Jeremy

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As usual likely have that in stock someplace...ask if anyone local on here has one first.

Thoroughly clean crank bolt holes and use a thread sealant on threads as oil will leak past otherwise.

JM7.3CW

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the hijack, but Al, what do you recommend for thread sealant?

As another follow up question, for those that have swapped to SMF, is that spacer required or is that just for the DMF. On the flex plates for auto's it seems to be called a reinforcement something or other.

Nice picture there junk. ;Sweet

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laser,

Yeah thanks for the picture. I just checked some luk instructions and they say that plate is needed.

I was thinking for a thread sealant you can use rtv or blue loctite. I think I've used either.

The luk kits come with bolts preloaded with sealant.

So anybody have one? Or a part number?

Jeremy.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I had measured. I have both. They pretty much look the same. Unfortunately I bolted the flex plate and starter back on that other motor or it would be easy to figure out.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet one from an auto would work.

Cpdenton you got one you want to sell?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I did. Might know where one is though. I will let you know if I come up with one.

I have 1, but it's in a set with the bolts and spacer for the flywheel. I don't want to break the set up.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loctite blue ...oil tolerant should work.

I MYSELF would NOT use silicone rtv

If nothing else clean the bolt holes well and maybe a thread sealant like liquid teflon stuff for npt may work.

I hqvent foundy extra flywheel bolts yet.

Pulling a few parts off ex cab this week so maybe grab that ring...why do none of you US folk have that ring???

Got an IP amd lines to remove tomorrow woo hoo.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, i didnt run this retaining plate on my ZF5 swap.
didnt seem to have an issue.

i thought this was for flex plates to hold the thin metal better.
my pontiacs use the same deal for autos, never needed one for a manual.

flywheels are alot chukier than flex plates

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riot - If you have a ring I would buy it from you.

Otherwise I think I'll install without and run. I'm with IDIOT that with a flywheel for a manual being so thick what purpose does that ring really serve. My t-19 hasn't had one the 70-100K i've ran it. The LUK instructions say to use it, but I also read in another forum where guys had and hadn't ran it with no ill affects.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate having a sounding board to get second opinions!

Thanks
Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only possible problems I see are the length of the bolts or not having a bearing surface to torque the bolts down against causing a gouge or stress raiser in the flywheel. Both those problems should be solvable with grade 8 washers or better yet a set of ground flat shims. Maybe like these in the right size and thickness.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-shims/=108zoft

I guess there could be a very slight imbalance issue due to not having "washer" at the blank hole but we are talking about the weight of some about 0.050" metal so near the center of rotation, I just don't see that being a problem given the total mass of the flywheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online