Need a favor from someone.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Hey guys im doin a zf swap on my truck buddy has some driveshafts around but he cannt remember what the trucks config was ie ext. Cab long box etc. Any ways can some one do me a huge favor with a zf5 4x4 in a extended cab long box measure the front shaft length with a pic if possible and also the forward section of the rear drive shaft ahead of steady bearing please again with a pic if at all possible please. Thanks in advance fellas

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Front shaft should be the same, no matter what bed/cab configuration, long as it's from a zf.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front driveshaft for a c6 equipped truck 39 1/2 inches Autozone part number N94428

Front driveshaft for a E4OD equipped truck 39 1/2 inches Autozone part number N94442 (different u-joints?)

Front driveshaft for a zf 5 speed equipped truck 37 1/2 inches Autozone part number N94435

Front driveshaft for a 4 speed equipped truck 39 1/2 inches Autozone part number N94428

I don't know what the difference is between the shafts with the same lengths but different part numbers.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What transfer are you using?
It matters for the rear driveshaft.
Slip yoke or mounting plate?
Here is a front driveshaft that measured 35" CTOC,
Came off a c6. Was Installed in my 87 with a ZF5

You must be registered for see images attach

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Im not sure which t case i have i will look later tonight and reason for askin about front measurements is im getting custom oversized ones fabbed prior to my instal so its not down longer then required

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you need not ask in a forum, you must measure from center to center of u joints on your application
Especially now that you have a straight axle swap in that F250

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Unable to do when its not complete, im trying to have parts sitting in a collection waiting to go in so guys at my machine shop said to ask for measurements in a similar application a straight axle doesnt change anything.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would wait until the transfer and axles are in before doing custom driveshafts.
nothing like doing it twice.
driveshafts arnt cheap either

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Different cases/axles will be a bit different, and who knows if the measurement you get is actually accurate? Not saying folks here would mess it up, but there's certainly room for error. Also going to have differences based on how much load is on it when you measure. Might be that the truck that's measured has a utility bed full of tools and is fully loaded which would make for a shorter shaft than a light bed.

Measure your's and know it's done right. The extra downtime is cheaper and better than redoing the shaft.

Also worth noting that it's unlikely things will go completely right with a project that involved, so you'll likely not be able to get it done in as short a time as you hope anyway.