Mysterious squeak...

bleedblueoval

Reaction score
I bought my first IDI about 2 weeks ago. It has a squeak that is rpm related, i.e. it gets more squeaky as rpm increases. I took off the serpentine belt and checked all of the bearings on the pulleys. The idler pulley bearing was bad so I replaced it but the squeak is still there. The only other thing that I can think of is the clutch release bearing. Any thoughts?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
If you're referring t a stationary squeak, I myself have been trying to track one down. I pretty much gave up when I replaced the idler pulley, tensioner and pulley and the alternator. Now, it only happens when there is heavy moisture in the air, so that's fine by me. Like I said before, if it's a moving squeak, check your Ujoints. If it's stationary it could be a couple things, namely alternator or AC clutch.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U-joints would depend on, does it squeek when it is moving, not moving, or all the time? More info please.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the belt and run the engine without accessories for a short moment, 1-2 min won't hurt. Does the squeek go away or is it still there? If still there same as before or different sounding now?

If goes away, narrows it down to an accessory or pully...perhaps PS ? Dunno...Just making suggestions here...Vacuum pump?

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also could be the belt; i was getting a squeak on my serpentine belt in my 95 5.0 bronco and i thought it was the idler, then the ac pulley, then just for the hell of it i put a different belt on and that fixed it. Upon closer inspection of the old belt, no physical defects were noted.

Food for thought at least.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828