my own custom exhaust...

needboost2live

Reaction score
So I was bored today after work and hacked my exhaust off before the muffler. I think it was still the stock muffler at 288k. I put on a 45 degree turn down. (picture one) Is this bad to have the exhaust not really exit from out underneath the truck? I did save an elbow/ tip from stock exaust (picture two). Would it be better to attach the 90 degree with tip?

Attachments

• 1009091835.jpg
    1009091835.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 1009091911.jpg
    1009091911.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 6

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats fine i ran mine like that a while. you will cover the bottom with soot though

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
all it will do is cover the underneith in soot, turn that turndown tip to the side weld a straight piece of pipe to it then you got a good flowing side exit

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its like rust proofing your truck with out any work. Haha i ran mine like that for awhile. It is a LOT louder in the cab like that though...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all it will do is cover the underneith in soot, turn that turndown tip to the side weld a straight piece of pipe to it then you got a good flowing side exit
the side of your truck where the pipe exits and the rear wheel will now be covered in soot.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I got a similar setup. From the Y pipe , straight back through a glasspack Cherry Bomb and then a 90* elbow that exits just before the passenger side back tire.

I bought an exhaust pipe expander for making slip joints, so this fall she may get true duals, through two glasspacks and up through the bed into stacks......with the raincaps on top for maximum annoyance lol

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
the side of your truck where the pipe exits and the rear wheel will now be covered in soot.

yea, but that way you can see the smoke again:D instead of the people behing you being the only ones able to see it

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
technically for most states inspection it needs to exit from the body (side or rear) but thats not going to get fumes in the cab if thats what youre wondering and i have mine like that and it works great you will just have soot allover the inside of the tailgate and the bumper (not much on the outside of the tailgate) and itll be a bit louder (as you already know)

needboost2live

Reaction score
i just took it for a drive about 20 min ago and I'm happy with it. I just drove around the parking lot and i love to be able to hear the whirl of the turbo. Thats exactly what I wanted. My truck doesn't smoke a whole lot so thats a plus but i'm sure it will build up over time. I'll really be able to hear the difference when i leave for my cabin tomrrow with the polaris and other goodies in the box. Cheers`

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a similar exhaust setup (if you look at my picture you'll see) it's 4 inch and on a trip with a lot of hills or a load if will make the whole bed side look a bit darker, even if you drive it so that you don't notice much if any smoke out of the exhaust.

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to run my little ranger that way, tail pipe rusted out, problem I had was it would fill up the cab with fumes when I idled for any length of time. Got tired of it and went back to having a tailpipe. Got less headaches when driving around town after that!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
that's why I made my exhaust turnout! I have the pipe exit past the bodyline and it will pass safety here. Its cheaper than running all that pipe past the rear axle and as long as you have an exit point beyond the body panels you should be ok for fumes, unless you are in stop and go reaffic as you stated Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726