My new IDI

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked this up outside of Boston and brought it back the nearly 600 miles to Cleveland. 85, 6.9L and 5 speed.

The stacks are coming off, they make the cab so loud you can't even talk. I may run the pipes straight back and use the stacks as sidepipes.

I'm surprised that this engine appears to use the 7.3IDI style glow plug system, it uses bullet type plugs and a controller at the rear of the intake. The reman sticker on the valve cover is marked 6.9L.

You must be registered for see images attach

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Nice find! I would love to get my hands on something like that.
Stickers on teh valve cover don't mean much. Mine say 7.3, but it is really a 6.9 under them. Trade you :)

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Serial number confirms it to be a 6.9L. International did offer a retrofit kit for the 6.9's to the solid state controller so that may explain the apparent discrepancy.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
cool truck, ;Sweet so what are the big plans for it????

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool truck, ;Sweet so what are the big plans for it????

Plans? Fix the brakes, get it painted black again and get it rolling.

With this truck I can expand into doing equipment and small tractor moves too.

The truck was originally black, the charcoal grey that you see only goes up as high as the spray paint can could reach. They painted right over the old "Cash for junk cars" lettering on the door.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for more HP, Hypermax has a kit for the S-series IH's;Sweet
I drove one of those for a little while. It was "affectionately" known as "Sluggo" in the company. 7.3idi 5spd 2spd rear.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Yes - the 7.3 is a bit of a pig in anything much bigger than a 1 ton truck. It'll get the job done though.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes - the 7.3 is a bit of a pig in anything much bigger than a 1 ton truck. It'll get the job done though.

Oh yeah. Nice truck.

It won't be fast, but it'll get the job done. I recently towed my F350 home on a flatbed trailer with my '86 and 6.9 N/A. The trailer weighed 4500lbs, the F350CC weighs over 6500lbs, total over 11,000lbs, and it pulled it along very nicely. I dragged it 100 miles over a big mountain pass with 10% grade. I did get down to 2nd gear for a while at 30mph, but just took it easy. 950 on the pyro, 220 on the coolant, half throttle, didn't even get to listen to half a CD on the tunebox!!

Zigg :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online