my intercooler install 92+

Deib

Reaction score
What in the world are you working on? IDI or a Powerstroke? Your avatar is a brick nose but you said '92 plus in your description.

You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
He is working on an IDI. I believe his truck is a Bricknose, that he did a "nose job" on and transplanted an OBS clip onto. So the install would be "like" a 92+ install since that is the core support and grill he is working with. On these trucks, the OBS (92-97) clip is the "easiest" room wise to install an intercooler. Then the bricknose (87-91) and lastly the Slantnose (80-86). The back of the grill is deep and goes back closer to the radiator than the OBS grill does. On the 94.5+ PSD OBS's Ford did stuff and intercooler in there....... but the core support is different to accommodate the piping and I have read the radiator is not as thick as the IDI radiator......

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is an idi...my avatar is a single cab longbed...im currently stuffing a crewcab on it and I also have the obs front clip...just changing a few things from factory haha

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of using steel pipe for intercooler setups. The insides can rust, and then you've got rust particles going into your engine. Alluminum is a must in my mind. Ebay is where I got mine.

Deib

Reaction score
That sounds like and awesome build.

Big trucks use steel pipe for a million+ miles. Do whatever works out best for you. No worries.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
He is working on an IDI. I believe his truck is a Bricknose, that he did a "nose job" on and transplanted an OBS clip onto. So the install would be "like" a 92+ install since that is the core support and grill he is working with. On these trucks, the OBS (92-97) clip is the "easiest" room wise to install an intercooler. Then the bricknose (87-91) and lastly the Slantnose (80-86). The back of the grill is deep and goes back closer to the radiator than the OBS grill does. On the 94.5+ PSD OBS's Ford did stuff and intercooler in there....... but the core support is different to accommodate the piping and I have read the radiator is not as thick as the IDI radiator......

I thought the PSD didn't get a factory IC until the new body. I know 95 didn't have them.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of using steel pipe for intercooler setups. The insides can rust, and then you've got rust particles going into your engine. Alluminum is a must in my mind. Ebay is where I got mine.

would ceramic coating work to coat the inside and outside preventing rust?

i might consider and IC this summer. i would not mind aluminum but i can't TIG it, and i don't want to have a bunch of silicone couplers on it, mainly b/c the silicone is expensive.

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would not mind aluminum but i can't TIG it, and i don't want to have a bunch of silicone couplers on it, mainly b/c the silicone is expensive.

If you have a TIG just practice practice practice and you should have no problem welding aluminum. You can also use stainless steel it is easier to weld than aluminum and resists rusting.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mel-
I'd agree with you. But my practical experience with my IC setup is the CDR and turbo has provided plenty of anti-rust coating(oil) evenly distributed all over the inside of the pipes.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped in a 6.0 intercooler in my 92. 1" square stock welded to the frame and 2 bolts welded to the core support. Never had to trim the intercooler or anything. Trim the core support a little, and the rad side tabs. That was it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dropped in a 6.0 intercooler in my 92. 1" square stock welded to the frame and 2 bolts welded to the core support. Never had to trim the intercooler or anything. Trim the core support a little, and the rad side tabs. That was it.
he's got the right idea of mounting the IC exclusively on the radiator support. problems arise when you mount the lower IC on the frame and the upper IC on the radiator support. There's a reason why there is a thick rubber mounting system between the frame and radiator support, ford accounts for an extreme amount of flexing between the frame and body. The radiator support is part of the body. need physical proof? go find a curb and drive one of the front wheels on top of the curb and the other on the pavement. get out and take a look at the relation between the bumper and the valance panel above the bumper.

Deib

Reaction score
This is a 6.0 cooler, it is no where near the frame rail. I have no idea how the 7.3 cooler fits.

Really didn't cut much out of the radiator flange or radiator support.
The lower portion of the radiator support where it is double flanged is all still there.

Had to bend the hood latch a tad but no cutting.