My 94 IDI turbo

THESLO1

Reaction score
I just bought a 94 super duty, idi turbo, e4od with 113,xxxmi on it. It was a service truck where I work. I first saw it back in 08 when it came to our shop from the shop up north. The e4 had given trouble, and was sitting in the bed, that's all I know about what happened. They decided not to fix it and it went to sit in the back field for the last 6 years. I showed a little interest in it and it was priced to me for $600. I think I did pretty good, the service body is worth close to that and the local junkyard was interested in it when he heard what I paid. I got the file of service records and I see that it had a jasper trans installed back in 98 at 31,888mi because the tail shaft was bad ( I'm not sure what that means), then replaced under warranty in 99 at 40,432. I've heard some bad things about jasper, but installed many of them at my work without problems, but I've never messed with an e4od. Should i be worried or happy about the trans being from jasper? I hope to use it for a work truck for my small rental business, and pull my car trailer occasionally. My plan of attack is to get it running to verify the engine is sound, then invest in the trans. I know I should buy a heavy duty trans, but I don't have a whole lot of money now, and I believe I can rebuild the e4od myself. What suggestions do you have for parts for the trans, and performance for the engine, nothing crazy, I don't want to affect the durability. I'm looking at what I think are good converters, but would like hear your ideas. Thanks for your time. Eric

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome again Eric! There have been a couple really good threads on rebuilding E4OD's lately. The best one is probably from a member SDEconVan. He goes through the entire tear down and rebuild with lots of pics. Does the tcase too. FORDF250HDXLT also has a thread on the "log truck" that goes through a lot of the E4 upgrades and such. Those would be my recommendations. Now get ready for the "do the ZF5 swap" pitch to happen. :D

Anyway, welcome and don't be afraid to ask. I'll see if I can edit and give you links.

Here's one.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...outside-wait-a-minute!&highlight=1998+E4OD+or

Here's another.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...ew-to-me-truck-pic-heavy)&highlight=log+truck

THESLO1

Reaction score
I already have a 5 speed truck, 7.3 IDI NA 4x4, it ran real well until the lift pump went out, looking to do the electric fuel pump mod to that one soon. I was tempted to do the swap to the super duty, my friend at the junkyard has a rolled f250 with a psd and zf5, and he is normally really fair on prices. Just curious, what would be a good price for everything but the flywheel and clutch? I think I'll try to keep this one auto, some days my clutch leg isn't 100%