Mufflers

themoose

The Moose is Loose
Reaction score
I can't justify replacing the entire exhayst system on a new truck (I have too much $$$ to spend on my Raptor:D ) but I do want to free up the exhaust flow.
The only thing I miss about my gas truck is the V8 rumble, I don't want it so loud it's anoying but a good authoritive roar would be a good thing!!

I've heard some straight pipe trucks & they would probably get on my nerves on long trips.

I was thinking about just replacing the muffler for something like the Banks muffler or something similar.

Has anyone tried this & what was the results??
What mufflers would you recomend?

MUDDY

Reaction score
welcome to the site, moose

on my present rig, i just cut from behind the **** and the **** forward was removed. new 4 inch downpipe with a straight piece of 4 inch to the factory 4 inch tailpipe. sounds good, not too loud and inexpensive. if ya want a hi flow **** or perhaps just a resonator to tone it down, rip is the one to go to. good stuff,reasonable price. he has all the stuff ya need to do a good exhaust system
http://www.protintnw.com/sa-main.htm

B

Big K

Yo Moose, welcome:rock:

I don't think that straight pipin' your truck would be a problem. They are way too quiet to begin with. :D

How's about ditchin' the muffler, and leaving the res? Do the 3 Gens have a **** and res? Don't know enuf about them
:confused:

Muddy's recommendation regarding Rip is the ****. I know that you're not anywhere nearby, but Rip ships, and the $ are always right.

themoose

The Moose is Loose
Reaction score
Hey BigK!!
Yea they are quiet & the turbo does act as a silencer but a loud exhaust while hauling a trailer on long trips would get on my nerves!!

I'm just looking for a little better sound & better fuel milage & performance with the muffler & an airbox.

KyDieselDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Walker BTM (big truck muffler) on myPSD and for the money I don't think it can be beaten. Can be bought or ordered from most part houses. My was $47.00 plus tax and installation. $110.00 total. Not real loud but the exhaust temps did take a drop!!

themoose

The Moose is Loose
Reaction score
I'm going to look at the Donaldson muffler, They're between $50 & $70 & I can get them at Truck Pro which is just down the street from my fire station.

B

Big K

I know that Rip has installed some Donaldsons. I've seen some BIG ones sitting there in his shop. That should reduce and flow restrictions.

Don't blame you. Mine is a bit on the loud side. Even for me. ;p

themoose

The Moose is Loose
Reaction score
I went to Truck pro today & checked out the Donaldson muffler.
The problem came when I told them it was for a Ram, they don't carry anything but big rig parts!!
I found the correct part on Donaldsons site Here's a link to the muffler .

It was $48 but they have to order it & it won't be here for 2 weeks.
That'll give me time to get the 3.5"~4" adaptor.

I'll let you know how it works out.

themoose

The Moose is Loose
Reaction score
Change of plans!!

well I changed my mind on the Donaldson, I'm going with a Pro Flo muffler ($70) instead.

It started when I found out I couldn't get the muffler & adaptor at the same place & it was looking like it could be a problem making sure I got the right parts the first time getting them at diffrent places.

I also wasn't sure I wanted the straight thru design, I just don't want it real loud.

The Pro flo muffler is a compromise between the stocker & the straight thru Donaldson.
When you look thru the Pro flo you see about 1/2 of the other side pipe.
It's not straight thru but it should flow a lot better than the stocker.
It should sound better but not be real loud.

I'm putting it on now so I'll let you know how it works this afternoon.

themoose

The Moose is Loose
Reaction score
Well I'm very happy!!!!

It has a nice rumble at idle, a nice bark under a load but isn't much louder than stock when at highway speeds!!

just what the doctor ordered!!:D

MUDDY

Reaction score
glad ya got it done. a litl bttr breathng and a nice tone is a benefit :)