MPG ??

rthomas

Reaction score
im getting 18.0-18.5 on the freeway, driving kind of modest (65 avg) using the cruise when possible. my usual mix of driving i get 15.5+- is this about what i should exprect or is there room for improvment?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say for moderate driving conditions as you describe, that 18+ is a little better than average.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
It's better than I am getting. I must admit that I do drive with a heavy foot. My milage was better before the switch to ultra low power (Ooops! Ultra low sulpher) diesel fuel. I guess I just need to drive a little more conservativly.
Ken

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
18 mpg is pretty damn good ;Sweet ---specially with the slushbox :D

I average 17 mpg with my rig weighing in at 7900 lbs.....and that is with 4.10 gears and 33 inch tires, plus being 4X4......and the 280k mi on the orig squirters :hail Of course mine is bolt action :D so one would expect better mpg! one other thing.....my interstate cruise speed is somewhere around 80 mph ---with the eng turning 2950.....I REALLY want a Gear Vendors :hail

NJKen said:
My milage was better before the switch to ultra low power (Ooops! Ultra low sulpher) diesel fuel.

HEAR YA :puke:
Hey....ever figure out the smoke :dunno

rthomas

Reaction score
its probly worth mentioning that ive also been doctoring the fuel with a little wmo and stanadyne performance form.:D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know that I would run WMO in a PSD. But thats just me.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I'm wondering if fuel quality is a factor. There for a while, I couldn't get over 17.3. Now, with effort, and fuel from a different source, I'm getting 20.x. I notice for the Moose Wagon, that the key is to try and stay under 1600 RPM's, keep the coverter locked up as much as possible and NOT use cruise control. Slow acceleration and a very light foot are key. This

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
dang how the heck can you stay under 1600 rpm with an automatic? i have a hard enough time keeping it under 2000. the thing just will not accellerate. if i get it into OD it will run at 1300-1400 steady speed. but the area i do most of my driving it's a lot of stop and go.

even keeping it under 2000 the best i can do is 14 mpg. highway economy is no better. i guess the tools in the bed and the ladder rack must be the culprit.

rthomas

Reaction score
4.10's@ 2000 rpm= 64mph, trying to stay much under that isnt really practicalLOL ...but it pulls really hard:D
as for the wmo ive been running 5%-, i dont have the stones to try more until it gets hot out again

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea it would be tough with a lot of stop and go. Most of my driving is a pretty streight shot with speed limits high enough that I can get away with keeping it locked up most of the time. Then when I get out on the highway, I try to stay around 60 if I want the MPG to keep climbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Staff online