More help needed----Spring Bushing

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Another inspection item on my '94 F250.
The inspector says I have to replace the upper spring bushings on the front end of the front leaf springs.
Looks like I remove the lower shock bolt and support the frame so the wheel just clear the ground.
Then all I need to do is remove the upper bolt? How then does the busking come out?
What problems am I likely to encounter?
Safety concerns?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Honestly, I changed all mine when I replaced the springs (I wanted urethane bushings) and can't imagine doing it on the vehicle, but I'm sure it can be done. When I did mine, and I'm sure this isn't conventional, I burnt the rubber out, then drove the melted mess from the eyelet, being careful not to let it get too hot and work on the spring. Once the rubber is gone from the center, you can take a hammer and chisel and cut the outer metal sleeve where the spring eye wraps around it. A good place to cut is at the seam of the eye and the spring. I also ran a drill through one and drilled the rubber out by drilling holes all around the circle of rubber, then get the center out and cut the outer metal wrap. Either way, it wasn't fun, but in the end, I got it done. I put urethane ones back in and have had no problems. They pretty much push in, the new ones will have to be pressed/driven in.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Thanks, but that sounds like the bushing in the spring eye.

The ones I have to replace are at the front of the spring--the report says Front, upper. I am assuming he means the bushings at the top of the front shackle where it bolts to the frame.

suv7734

Reaction score
Thanks, but that sounds like the bushing in the spring eye.

The ones I have to replace are at the front of the spring--the report says Front, upper. I am assuming he means the bushings at the top of the front shackle where it bolts to the frame.

Same basic procedure for either front one or the rear. Here
is a good tech article on how to do it using readily available equipment.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
theres a place here that sells the spring shackle, with a poly bushing i believe.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if you can get the parts out and into a hydraulic press it will do all the hard work in about 30 sec. then another few seconds to install the new ones. both suggestions sle made can work but are obviously much more labor intensive.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Good news. Bushings came out of the hangers with some, but not excessive effort. The link to the bushing removal helped. I was able to knock out the inner sleeve, and the rubber bushing. Then I used the hint from the link, and used a hack saw to cut a slot in the metal outer sleeve. After that I was able to roll it up with a chisel, and drive it out.
Bad news, No one, I mean NO ONE in Bel Air stocks the bushings, Not even the Ford dealer. Fisher/ Federated Auto Parts was able to get then overnight, so (hopefully), they will be installed tomorrow.
Waiting on the headlights, then off to have it reinspected, and get tags, and then go camping over Labor Day. We'll be at Artillery Ridge Campground in Gettysburg, PA, if anyone will be in the area, and wants to sat "hi".

suv7734

Reaction score
Best bet to get the bushings will probably be a spring and suspension shop.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Looks like you've already got them coming, but I've ordered several sets of bushings from Summit and they've made it in two days. They are usually a lot cheaper as well.

Good luck,

Paul

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I get a good kit at for the front f350 springs and are the front shackle bushings the same as the leaf spring bushings.

If so that would be a total of replace 6 bushings?

romulus

Reaction score
get them from energy suspension. i just installed a 6 piece kit in my dana 50 ifs, also did the pivot bushings. looks cool with all those red highlights underneath now. i wish they sold blue ones.

the truck has 145k hard miles on it. most of the bushings were in decent shape, the little ones on the front shackles were worn to the bone.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com

Part Number: 4.2121
Product Name: Front Leaf Spring and Shackle Bushings - w 2inch I.D.
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: $52.96
> > > Color : Red
--------------------------
Part Number: 4.3133
Product Name: Axel Pivot Bushings
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: $24.99
> > > Color : Red
--------------------------
Order Total : $77.95
Shipping : $8.99