minor mods big difference

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped my tps from 1.3v down to .92 and put on my 3" exhaust last week. Took one hour to cut off the old and put on the new as far as the rear wheel. Took it to a mechanic friend to bend a tailpipe and it took two days to get it out of the corner where it was stuck behind better paying jobs:mad:.

Finally got it out last nite and it is a different truck now. I barely feel the trans shift and one hill I ususlly top at 45mph I topped at 62mph and was gaining speed.;Sweet

Thought 3" would be too small but has to be the best $50 I ever spent on this thing.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
That's awesome! 3" is what I have on mine and it really opens up the flow a lot. I kinda wanted 4", but was having trouble finding pipe so I asked my friend at the local diesel performance shop what he thought about 3" on my truck and his reply was "if a Duramax can make 500hp with a factory 3" exhaust, I think you'll like it on your IDI. It really is great when these trucks are running right. Who needs a new truck?

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
turbo or N/A application? i have a 3.5" SS setup sitting in and around the garage... need to know itll be worth my time to make it work

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry. My truck is straight out stock7.3 NA. The only thing I have changed is the exhaust and I threw out the snorkel and removed the soup bowl a few years ago.

If you have bigger exhaust it is definitely worth it. I wanted 3.5" but fittings were hard to find here. This has to be the easiest vehicle ever to put exhaust on, it is just one log run till you hit the tail pipe.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I was under the impression that setting your FIPL to below 1.1V was bad news for the transmission? Maybe not?

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle Position Sensor. It is a resistor that tells the trans how hard to shift and when to shift based on throttle position.

My truck was going into limp mode on occasion, and would jerk your teeth out when it always shifted. It was also running 3k rpm for a few seconds before it would shift. Now it is smoother than my dads 01 PSD.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Still, I was under the impression that making the shifts too smooth was bad for the E4OD?

At least thats what everyone was telling me when I had mine.....

Glad it worked out for you....

Thad

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope not. It feels really good driving it right now. at 1.33v it was revving high and then slamming into gear so hard the driveshaft would rattle. Now I hit 2500rpm and hear the plates click together with just a short pause.

Everyone I ask about this trans just tells me about how terrible it is. :dunno

Time seems to suggest that it may be better than the 4r100 in my powerstroke. at least fewer problems.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
next upgrade if you don't have one yet is a large trans oil cooler. keep the trans cool and it should keep you running for a while. The PO of my truck had his trans rebuilt from the factory back in '92 I believe. At the time he put in a cooler and temp guage. Still running strong 150k miles and 18 years later. Oh and it's had amsoil ATF in it as well.

as for as exhaust size, banks suggests 3" for a turbo on these trucks. I decided to go for a 4" exhaust to ensure there was no back pressure but 3" should be fine.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That trans cooler would be nice, I think i am going to start w/ a trans temp gauge to see how it looks first, though.

Hey DarrenTosh, When you did your e-fan, where did you get your temp sensor and where did you put it? I have been kickin that mod around for a while and haven't figured out where to put the sensor to activate the fan.