Messed up vacuum pump pulley

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
advanced or autozone i dont remember which has new pulleys for about $50. U need a special puller which is like $150-200...i just bought a new one...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the problem is for you guys, I've pulled a couple pulleys off with my pulley remover/installer kit just fine. Maybe I've got a multi use one.

If no one can get you a vacuum pump pulley, let me know I've likely got about 4 or 5 pumps floating around here I can pull a V belt pulley off for you.

If it's a serp style, NOPE keeping the ones I got.

Al

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My problem was they didn't grind away enough material for the shell halves to fit properly on the pulley. I ended up having enough time before work to grind a little more so they fit. Pulley is off, puller worked like it was supposed to.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a nice tool from snapon. I bought a KD puller years ago and it has two differant sides to the shell part. That tool will remove or install the pulleys easily. I keep it under the rear seat and another pulley for the vacuum pump but not the power steering pump.. Never had needed this is 7 years but I have it just in case.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Used the exact tool pictured probably 25 times! lol I made the same mod and have never had an issue, even before...guess I've just been lucky!

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I went to the local Oreillys to use thier tool for the pulley and thats when I ran into problems trying to remove the pulley the tool wouldnt fit the pulley, so I bought another pulley.
Now I just need to get the pump put back on.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I went to the local Oreillys to use thier tool for the pulley and thats when I ran into problems trying to remove the pulley the tool wouldnt fit the pulley, so I bought another pulley.
Now I just need to get the pump put back on.

My brother used a o'rielly one. He's not a very mechanical person. Normally I have to be there and show him. But long story short, he used it just fine, without my help.

He took his pump off, put my 88 v-belt pump on, then swapped the pulleys back to his serp one.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Finally got the vacuum pump installed and drove home.
Man what a difference the air blows out of the dash vents right away, or whatever I select the air to blow on the windshield ,etcc..., the brakes work much better, the trans shifts better.
But I stilll need to replace the booster and the mastercylinder, and a few other expensive parts that need replacing.

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I get the bolt out that holds the pulley on. The pulley is loose, and when you turn the bolt it just turns the pump with out loosening??

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I get the bolt out that holds the pulley on. The pulley is loose, and when you turn the bolt it just turns the pump with out loosening??

Whatcha talking about Willis?
A picture would be helpful to know what bolt your talking about, by chance it's not on the back is it?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There SHOULD NOT BE A BOLT HOLDING PULLEY ON thus.....

Well I'm not 100% on what you are asking here so I'll throw a couple of bones.

1st Bone!

Allen key shape hole and you are turning that with an allen key thus just rotating the shaft which turns over pump and nothing else just spins....that is because it is just a shape of an allen key and NOT a bolt

2nd Bone!

There is a bolt installed in the pump shaft (for what ever reason) where the install tool threads into and you turn that and it turns the shaft of the pump turning it over.

Lastly the pulley is PRESS fit on the shaft and requires a puller as shown in pictures above to remove. How you have a LOOSE pulley is well I just cannot imagine it myself so ya pictures would be good.

JM2CW

Al

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have a camera here at work to take a pic, but on my f350 there is a 9/16 bolt threaded into the vacuum pump, presumably to hold the pulley onto the shaft. My pulley has taken to wobbling and today threw the belt (at which point I had no brakes, but that is a different story). I took the pump off and tried everything I could think of to get the bolt off so I could tight up the pulley. All it would do is turn the pump with out loosening. I take it from your responces, that bolt isnt supposed to be there?? I ordered a new pulley today hoping I could cut the bolt off and grab the shaft and the remainder of the bolt and get it off so I can replace the pulley. It sound like someone has "rube goldberged this thing and I may have to spring for a new pump as well? Does anyone have a pic of what it is supposed to look like. Does the allen head screw you talked about hold the pulley on, or is it strictly a press fit? Thanks for the help. Van

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, that hole is *only* for the installation tool, which is nothing more than a bolt with a big washer.

The pulley is completely press fit.

Sounds like someone goobered the pullie and stuck a bolt in there to try and hold it together.... probably best to just fine one from a junkyard or one of the many folks on here that have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online