Memorial Day Plans Ruined

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright gents, at my wit's end and memorial day plans ruined.

I ran out of fuel and I cannot get the truck started. I have an e lift pump, and 6 psi to the injection pump, and it holds that pressure for more than a few hours so I don't believe I am introducing more air. Always started up and ran, no problem even this morning. I am getting fuel to the injectors but it is still has lots of bubbles after enough cranking to kill my batteries (which isn't that much really). My nephew is coming over in the morning with a battery charger and some jumper cables.

I've never run out of fuel before but I've changed injection pumps/injectors and never had this much trouble purging. Any thoughts? My IP is only 6 months old.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I replaced it with a Parker hannifin unit. I'm guessing it sounds like I just have a ton of air in the lines still? I do have a fuel pressure gauge right at the IP and it is reading 6 psi. Might just let the electric pump run for a bit tomorrow before I try cranking some more. My shut of valve is definitely working because I do get fuel at the injectiors, it's just still lots of bubbles.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I ran out of fuel it was at highway speed so maybe it just filled everything with lots of air?

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like air in the system. I run mine out almost everytime on the rear tank cause the gauge doesn't work. Usually have to crack an injector line and crank quite a bit to get it going again.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, hoping that is just the issue. Just a pain with low batteries but keeps me from buring up the starter. Never had it this bad before.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a way to bleed the air at the highest point of the fuel system, otherwise you’re gonna be cranking a looong time to displace that air. Crack open the fuel inlet line at the back of the injection pump and run the pump, that should help a good bit.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call. I'll try doing that as well. So damn irritating. Lol

You need a way to bleed the air at the highest point of the fuel system, otherwise you’re gonna be cranking a looong time to displace that air. Crack open the fuel inlet line at the back of the injection pump and run the pump, that should help a good bit.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Charge up your batteries too that will help. Crank for 15-20 seconds and let it sit for a few minutes too keep from burning up your starter..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly you will burn up a starter faster when the batteries are low. Low volts means more amps so its more heat. Charge the batteries or you will let the smoke out of the starter...

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
If it's a stick, try pull starting it to purge the air.
I ran out of fuel in my truck once, that was enough.
Since then, to me it costs the same to run off the fuel at the top half of the gauge as it is to run on the bottom half. LOL

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on charging the truck. I'll be sure to do that before. I'll see if I still have my tow straps to pull it. That would be much easier.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and it was such a bone headed move on my part. Been kicking my self since then. :idiot:

If it's a stick, try pull starting it to purge the air.
I ran out of fuel in my truck once, that was enough.
Since then, to me it costs the same to run off the fuel at the top half of the gauge as it is to run on the bottom half. LOL

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point and true.

Well, all up and running. Just a sob to prime this time for some reason. New 38 gallon tank and sending unit ordered as well. This ticked me off enough to take that plunge.

Only a bonehead move if you don't learn from it. As I have read many times lately, "I don't fail, i either win or learn". Now, if it happens again, a whole other narrative. ;Poke

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online