max egts

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
buddy of mine just got finished repowering his bricknose ford with a 92 5.9 ctd. He asked me what his max egt should be and i told him i would assume around 1200. Anyone got an exact figure i can give him?

thanks.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
If they are aluminum pistons 1250 is the max. I keep my max egts around 1000 to 1100 to be safe, especially on long pulls.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
1300 is pretty much the max but one has to consider these are not solid alum they are actually an alum alloy piston so they don't turn to mush at 1250.... plus you have figure in the time it takes the piston to absorb the heat. Yes the air/fuel mix is sitting at 1250 but the piston is not yet. When I had my little six banger I would bury my pyro at 1500 on runs and when the head was off the pistons showed no signs of heat damage. Thing to remember you can blow past 1250 everyday but DON"T HANG OUT UP THERE! I would when getting on her or pulling a mountain grade run something over 1500 degrees but I would not stay there for more than a min, probably more like a few seconds because especially when unloaded by the time the pyro had climbed that high my speed was something close to or over 100 mph, so I had to slow down because of speed first.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically, pure alluminum melts at 1220. The alloy, operational piston cooling jets, and airflow volume make it very difficult to nail the exact temp and duration required to actually watch the piston flow out of the exhaust valve. Of course, the conversion is not instantanious, so the engine usually self destructs well before that intriguing act could occur. Any temp above 1200 obviously puts you in the range where possibility for catastrophic failure exists. If you want to stretch beyond that, your betting that all of your piston cooling jets are correctly pointed, working, and doing well. How much they buy you, is anyones guess. One thing I have noticed, is that since I run an oil TEMP gauge in addition to presure, that long climbs with high EGT's definitely heat up the oil faster than the water. I would take this as a sign that the cooling jets are working pretty well. It also speaks to the efficiency of the oil cooler, by watching the water temps follow the oil temps pretty closely. I suppose if one were to somehow construct an external oil cooler that had a really high efficiency, so that you were actually spraying the piston with COLD oil (something under 100 degrees) then you might be able to extend it even further. The problem with experimentation, is that someone eventually pays the ulitimate sacrifice. And not many are willing to be that person. LOL Not only that, but you'd have to do it many times to establish a true base line. ;Really

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep my truck at 1200 on long pulls, 1250 if I'm right near the crest. I've run pretty long grades with my foot basically to the floor and 1200 for miles, no issues yet. The coolant temp will start to rise though, so watch that.
Travis..

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I keep my truck at 1200 on long pulls, 1250 if I'm right near the crest. I've run pretty long grades with my foot basically to the floor and 1200 for miles, no issues yet. The coolant temp will start to rise though, so watch that.
Travis..

What he said^^^^^^
I used to have serious lack of air in my 02 and would keep foot to floor for atleast a minute with its 1600f pyro maxed out. Its still running the same motor and the head has never been off.
The 01 will peg its 1850f pyro as soon as you put your foot to the floor (hence the flame guy!)
1200 is a good number because it allows for margin of error in your EGT reading.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I was thinkin it would be about the same and i also asked a local mechanic and he told me that 1250 was supposed to be max but realistically you should make your max 1200 for extended(longer than 10-15 sec pulls).

thanks guys.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
1320Cummins, thats cause you have still an HY still -Flame Thr. My buddy has pegged his 1500° gauge with nothing bad yet. My IDI hits (dont shoot) 1300° pretty often and I'll make sure to take pics of the pistons when I get my new engine ready to drop in.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Oil Temp gauge is a REALLY smart idea. When hauling 20 tons up a good hill you can watch the oil temperature fly up really fast! The pyro usually stayed at around 1100 - 1200 but Ive seen that big 855 I drive shoot up to 1300 - 1400 on hot days, big loads and a heavy right foot! I would use 1200 as a general rule though.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i wasnt paying attention one day on my old truck comming up the mountain loded heavy i had foot in the floor 3rd gear 55 mph 1400 egt:eek::eek: i instantly pulled my foot out, i dont know how it didnt melt but it didnt

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
1320Cummins, thats cause you have still an HY still -Flame Thr. My buddy has pegged his 1500° gauge with nothing bad yet. My IDI hits (dont shoot) 1300° pretty often and I'll make sure to take pics of the pistons when I get my new engine ready to drop in.

hmmm I should look into that issueLOL

I had some 200hp injectors laying around. soooo... The only way I will pull the HY is if I replace it with compounds as I did on the 02 and then used the HY for the S-1600.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I run anywhere from 400 to 1000 on flat ground and cruisin up smaller hills. Lots of fuel+no air+high elevation dont work for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor