Massive oil leak 6.9 IDI need help know!!

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys 6.9 IDI massive oil leak on front of motor passenger side. I can find it, looks like its around the lift pump and blowing back on the fender and exhaust. I'm an hour from home(at work) any ideas were its comin from?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is massive? are you able to take pics? sounds like your 60 miles away from home, I would be brave and drive it home, but dont know your meaning of massive...

Javier

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil all over passenger side of engine, fender, axles, drag link, exhaust, and tranny, I will prob end up driving it home but if I can fix it while I'm here I would rather. And it also is leaving soft ball size spots on the ground. I drenched it in degrease(I always carry a can or 2) to see if I can see we're its coming from

Last edited:

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just got home after limping it 60 miles. I still don't know what it is but the truck started to nock and blow white smoke about 10 miles from work and did that for about a mile then stopped. When I got home I looked under the truck and everything is covered in oil, and I mean literally everything. Im really scared that its run dry and the insides are tore up. I guess ill have to tear into it and let you guys know how it goes, thanks everyone

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got home I notice there was oil in 3 of 4 corners of the engine bay and oil on the hood, is it possible my turbo has taken a crap and is trowing oil from some were? That would explain the blue/white smoke, sudden lack of power, and when the truck idles I cant see a leak so maybe at higher RPM. And could a moderator move this thread to general IDI, thanks all

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
could you tell where it was coming from after degreasing?

There is a gasket under the lift pump, but i wouldn't think it would just start leaking all of the sudden...

jlwoods99

Reaction score
When I eliminated my lift pump the bolts were loose. And I know leaking. If loose enough maybe doing what your saying.

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took 4 cans of degreaser and 1 can of carb cleaner to the whole engine, tranny and undercarage and I still can't find the leak. I replaced the lift pump and the bolts were only a little more than hand tight so that could have been it but I'm not sure. If nothing more I at leased gave my self some more insurance with new lift pump. But!!! Know it's blowing white smoke all the time like is over fueling. Not a tone but definitely noticeable at idle. I'm thinking it could still be the turbo oil line or drain. Guess we will see when I tear into that latter this week haha

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online