marker lights problem

rustyescott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok last monday leave for work 5am . turn on headlights &marker lights they work. get few blocks down road , smell burning wire then hear a pop like fuse blowing . marker lights now inop, use flashers to get to and from work rest of week. ck fuses all are good . when pulling head light switch markers will come on inbetween detents to turn on at those spots but without headlights being on , finish pulling knob all the way out so headlights on , now no marker lights. ok changed out headlight switch . i have both a factory switch and a aftermarkt switch only headlights will work no marker lights at all. i'm open for any ideas on this.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brown wire on the marker light circuit where it connects to the headlight switch plug has a habit of getting hot enough to burn off. I haven't studies the wiring diagram for a 93' to know if it already has a marker light relay yet or not, so if it doesn't have one, you need one! And if it does, then I'm guessing the problem is not the brown wire, but obviously if the switch is turning it on between detents, then the wiring can't be the issue. It must be something in the switch.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any chance you have installed the headlite mode to take most of the power draw out of the headlite switch and run it thru the headlite mode relay package. If not its now time to replace both the switch and the electrical connecter behind the switch. you will find it all melted into one big chunk of plastic and wires. This has caused trucks to burn to the ground before. One member just got home from work and parked his rig. About 5 minutes later his neighbor is pounding on his front door cause his truck is almost gone from the electrical fire. Do the headlite relay modification and take the power out of the headlite switch. I hear its more a problem with trucks like duallys because they have lots of marker lites where the crewcabs single wheel rigs don't.

rustyescott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok found problem was blowed fuse . had a fuse hidden due to fuse block misalinement with dash. plus did relay mod a while back.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like an easy lucky repair and glad to know you have the headlite mode done. No telling how many trucks that has saved.