Made a disturbing discovery today

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
So today I pulled the drivers side valve cover off to start assessing the damage to the motor and I made a very very disturbing discovery, the rockers and pushrods on cylinder 6 and 8 are rusted and don't look very good. I took pictures but my computer is acting up I'll post them when I get a chance

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Was it a dry rusty looking mess??? If so that will help determining whats wrong How many miles are on the motor or valve train...

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I wouldn't really say dry more like damp, it was very scaly, and only on 6 and 8, from what the odo says it had 97112mi on it but I have a feeling it's more like 197112.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The worst it could be is the roller lifters are shot on those two valves and it has damaged the cam lobs. Thats the worst. It could be just a plugged up pushrod or lifter. Remove the rockers and see if the pushrods are clear. See if any oil is or has been going thru them. Look for damage on all of the rocker wear areas like the tube to rocker point and the valave stem ends.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I'm starting to think that the rust is from the motor sitting for such a long time and also having a blown headgasket. I'm not quite sure yet I havent had a chance to tear down the motor yet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online