LOW VACUUM WARNING SWITCH ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1985 F-350 Ford diesel has a "BRAKE" warning light that used to come on when vacuum got too low for safety.

Where is the low-vacuum switch located ??

Thanks.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC tis in the front right corner of engine bay, on the inner fender, behind the battery and near the glowplugs relay.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
is that the thing on my vacume log that all the fittings go to?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a round can about the size of a can of tuna, maybe a little smaller, with a vacuum hose going into the center on one face and an electrical connector on one side.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a round can about the size of a can of tuna, maybe a little smaller, with a vacuum hose going into the center on one face and an electrical connector on one side.

If there is a can anywhere on my truck, I have never found it.

Where is it ??

Thanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's on the passenger fender, right near the glow plug relay.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Not a great pic, but you get the jist. This one has a vacuum line nipple plugging the vacuum port. It's been relocated.

I believe on the diesels through '86 it was mounted on that plate fastened to the top of the passenger side plastic wheel well.

Paul

Attachments

• vac switch.JPG
    vac switch.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 111

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a great pic, but you get the jist. This one has a vacuum line nipple plugging the vacuum port. It's been relocated.

I believe on the diesels through '86 it was mounted on that plate fastened to the top of the passenger side plastic wheel well.

Paul

It's the rusty thing to the left of where the alternator wires are in this pic.
You must be registered for see images

I just looked mine over real good and the only vacuum gizmo on the right fender is a plastic ball-looking thing, about the size of a croquet ball, with only a vacuum-line going to it and NO wires.

From that multi-port manifold, just over the A/C blower, I followed each line and none go into anything that also has electricity.

The reason I was wanting to find the low-vacuum sender is that I recently replaced both of my vacuum-gauges with matching new ones that match the rest of my many gauges.

I added red LED indicator-lights in the panel for each gauge and have a couple of those annoying seat-belt buzzers that I intend to wire into the low-vacuum warning switches, such that the red light will come on and the buzzer BUZZZZZZZ, whenever a low vacuum situation presents itself, more for the cool factor, than any real reason.

I am going to take loose the main vacuum-line and see if my factory-original light even comes on; I have had this truck over twenty years and I never removed any of that stuff; if it is gone, it got removed when the truck was fairly new.:dunno

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a vacuum canister, allows up to 3 brake applies after engine has been shut off or vacuum supply is lost for any other reason.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, in that pic, were you testing said switch? ;)

No. In fact, I can't remember if I removed it, or if it is just not hooked up. I use my trusty ISSPro Vacuum gauge instead. I know for a fact it's gone in the Moose Truck, along with all the other vacuum stuff.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I added red LED indicator-lights in the panel for each gauge and have a couple of those annoying seat-belt buzzers that I intend to wire into the low-vacuum warning switches, such that the red light will come on and the buzzer BUZZZZZZZ, whenever a low vacuum situation presents itself, more for the cool factor, than any real reason. :dunno

Hmmm cool factor-I disagree-an important mod in my book.Has anyone ever been pulling a trailer on a snowy interstate after a long day driving while entering a toll booth find himself with no vacume for his brakes?I have yes we have idiot lights-try to see them while driving into the sun.A human being( I hope i am one)can't focus on his gauges enough.An "idiot Buzzer"is a wonderful idea for those moments. I have a buzzer for overheating the engine-low oil pressure & I have a low vacumee switch under my desk (I'll probably never get it hooked up) But it is in my plans.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. In fact, I can't remember if I removed it, or if it is just not hooked up. I use my trusty ISSPro Vacuum gauge instead. I know for a fact it's gone in the Moose Truck, along with all the other vacuum stuff.
Lol, no, I was talking about the missing vacuum pump belt - running engine with no running pump should trip the warning switch, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08