loud nocking noise

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
need help.... coming home from work came to a light and let the truck idle and all of sudden when i accelerated i got a loud nocking noise from the motor!!!! and a little bit of white smoke from exhaust!!! what the hell happened?????

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
also now when i am idling the truck kind shakes every now and then... and the noise only happens when i hit the pedal

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YIKES!:shocked:

The shaking is likely from one or more cylinders not firing, giving you a rouhg idle. Did you loose compression on a cylinder? A bad injector can make a racket and cause a misfire, but scarey things can too......, valve train failure, rod or main bearing failure, as so on..:eek: Any idea where on the motor the noise is coming from?

I'd crack the injector lines one at a time while it is idling to try and isolate the cylinder. It should idle worse after cracking open the line on a "normal" cylinder and the idle will not change by cracking open the line on an "abnormal" cylinder.

You should probally pull the valve covers and look for a loose valve, broken sping, or other problems.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely feel the injector lines. If a pintle sticks open, it can allow combustion gasses into the injector line and that is not a good sound. It will be hot if that is the case.

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
well first i took out the injectors one by one to check the copper washers and o rings... they all looked fine . put the injectors back in and started her up and bled the lines . after i bled the lines i pulled the throttle cable and ****!!!! the noise is gone... maybe an injector stuck open??? i dont know ... any ideas??? the noise originally was coming from the passenger side, one of the middle cylinders.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it sound like it was in the top end of the engine or the bottom end? Mine did something similar but I have a feeling mines a lot worse off, (just trying to be optimistic)

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
Did it sound like it was in the top end of the engine or the bottom end? Mine did something similar but I have a feeling mines a lot worse off, (just trying to be optimistic)

it sounded like it was coming from the top end... its funny though , the noise is gone .. after i bled the injectors the scary knocking noise just disappeared.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
put a new fuel filter on and fill it up with your favorite additive. stanadyne performance is what I use. A full blast of that will usually clean up fuel issues.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One ton, I'm pretty sure I know what happened - you had one injector loosen in the head, not enough to cause major compression leak, but enough to cause that misfire. After you cracked the lines open and then tightened them down chances are you also tightened the injector back in the head somewhat, hence the lack of scarey noise now. BTDT, first time (cylinder #4) I never felt it but saw it as tiny air bubbles when the base of the offending injector accidentally got soaked in WD40, second time tho (cylinder #5) it happened to me down at Toledo Speedway and since I was more concerned with keeping the race car running I fixed it when I got at home, again after visualizing the issue by spraying each injector's base with WD40. And today while bleeding the lines after turning up the pump I noticed that my #6 injector seems a bit loose in the head, and it was, so I tightened it down before I tighten the line nut onto it, no more compression leaks. So at this point I'd suggest that you spray something (considering you got a turbo there WD40 is probably a bad idea, so use soapy water instead) at the bases of the middle 2 injectors on passenger side, and watch for tiny air bubbles, if you see any you'll need to tighten that injector down good, which may or may not require remove of the return cap and lines from it.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need help.... coming home from work came to a light and let the truck idle and all of sudden when i accelerated i got a loud nocking noise from the motor!!!! and a little bit of white smoke from exhaust!!! what the hell happened?????

When this happened to me, it was because an injector malfunctioned and was ******* liquid fuel into the cylinder. The noise came from the piston trying to compress liquid fuel.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A slobbering injector on a diesel from a sticking pintle will make a sound like a gasser about to throw a rod. It'll make a racket and when you first get on the throttle it really sounds like something is comming through the floorpan :eek:

Do like mentioned above and dose it up good with cleaner.
If the noise comes back , get some Liqui Moly Diesel Purge and run about 3 cans worth of that directly through the pump, and if that doesn't stop it, time for some new injectors.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, maybe I am luckier than I thought. The day I thought my truck died there was air in the lines. I blead it and got it started but it sounded "like a gasser about to throw a rod" but the noise was coming from the top end. And the engine shakes like hell like its missing on one cylinder. But the thing that has me worried is the oil pressure is low too. And the oil pressure went low almost exactly when the knocking started. Is it possible it just started idling so low the pressure got really low. I have been running WMO for the last couple weeks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online