Loud humming noise

brinkmanj

Reaction score
I got the truck back on the road last week after being down for awhile. I insulated the cab while I was putting in floor pans and now I'm noticing a new noise.

From about 30 mph+ there is a very loud low pitched hum that sounds like aggressive M/T's going down the highway. The noise completely and immediately goes away when you turn the wheel to right, even just barely off center and immediately returns wen you return the wheel to center. Turning left makes no difference in sound.

At first I was thinking RF wheel bearing but turning the wheel 1/4" to the right shouldn't be unloading the wheel bearing and the truck is still nearly going straight down the road due to sloppy steering.

I would do wheel bearings to start with but the front end needs everything else while I'm in there and I'm trying to avoid putting money into this truck as I will be replacing it with a crew cab in the spring, this one is so rusted it's going to scrap.

Thoughts?

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bad alignment will do that. mine had a hum after I did the ball joints and tie rods, took it in to get her aligned and $60 later the noise was gone.

brinkmanj

Reaction score
Well after a little investigating today I've found that the front axle components are overall in much worse condition than I thought. Guess I'll drop the money and just rebuild the whole thing. I can swap it into the new truck if I buy another f250 anyway.

Thanks for the help fellas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online