Loss of power

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my 86 s1600 is running bud with diminished power. Just had the whole Engine rebuilt just about everything was replaced except for the fuel pump.I ran this truck all summer without a problem. Here is what happened, I got called to go plow unplugged truck started up and ran fine until I put my plow down. as soon as I put my plow down truck began to lose power and started to sputter like it was being starved. lifted plow up and drove it home, with the plow up on the way home it ran ok not great and still did not have 100% power. It felt like my truck was in limp mode, even though obviously there is not such thing on these trucks. This morning I took off my primary filter and it was half full. Making me suspect that my fuel possibly gelled up (about 60% of the fuel in the truck was from early November). So I purchased some Diesel 911 additive and poured some into the fuel filters (maybe 2k on those) and the rest into the tank. started truck up and it ran real rough until it sucked in the 911. let it warm up for about 35-40 min and took her down the road she was purring like a kitten for about 3 miles then began to act up again not as bad this time but still not 100%. When I got home I took off the primary filter again and it was about 75% full. I am going to pick up a new pump tonight as it is about $29 at autozone. I kind of feel dumb for not replacing it in the first place. What do you guys think? anything else I can try? We are going to get another storm here tomorrow and I'd sure like to get my International on the city and put my one tone back to doing driveways.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
How full is your fuel tank? If around 1/4 tank try filling it up, might have the "showerhead" problem.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Showerhead issue is a good place to start because filling the tank solves most of that issue. Testing the fuel pressure at the filter inlet is a good idea too. When you replace the lift pump replace the short rubber hose too. that piece wears out and cracks. Then it sucks air before the lift pump easier than sucking fuel. Its 3/8 diameter hose. Get 2 hose clamps too.

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Showerhead issue is a good place to start because filling the tank solves most of that issue. Testing the fuel pressure at the filter inlet is a good idea too. When you replace the lift pump replace the short rubber hose too. that piece wears out and cracks. Then it sucks air before the lift pump easier than sucking fuel. Its 3/8 diameter hose. Get 2 hose clamps too.

Tank is 100%. I am going to throw in the pump and two new filters now and see what happens. Also will see if I have any 3/8 hose laying around. I don't want to run out again if I don't have to (snows coming).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
DURALIFT/CARRIER lift pump....that's the answer!

This electric lift pump is about the best modification we can do for our fuel systems. I rant it right after the Moos Pump products and the typ4 cam. These 3 modes are a fantastic upgrade to our engines.

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DURALIFT/CARRIER lift pump....that's the answer!

I will have to look into that if I run into more problems. What do they cost?

I purchased a new mechanical pump today along with new fuel filters. I also, got a new 3/8 fuel line and replaced. tightened the brass nut on the plastic line coming from the fuel tank. When I took the truck for a test run she ran fine. I re inspected the primary filter after test run and it was about 70% full. I don't think I will get called out to plow for the town tonight as the storm was de-rated. So I will not be able to test it under a heavy snow load. Is the fact that my primary filter is not 100% full when I pull it off a problem, or is that normal?

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, thought this problem was taken care of but no. I took a trip to the cape Friday for a house clean out job (100 mile round trip). She made it their and back. However, the fuel filter is still filling only part way with fuel and we are not running 100% I could barley climb even on the interstate balls to the wall, on a weak grade, just no power.

This is my plan:
1. Drain what was left in my tank into my oil furnace.
2. Disconnect my lines from the tank and drop tank.
3. Inspect lines for cracks and blow them out with an air gun.

I suspect that the plastic line inside near the top of the fuel tank is cracked drafting air into the system.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I dont think s1600 use a shower head in the fuel tank..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I cracked the case and here is the skinny.

I replaced my fuel line with rubber 3/8th fuel line off the tank to the primary, because of this I began checking for leaks and found a puddle of diesel under my truck (it was idling for a while). Long story short. One of my injector lines off the pump was leaking.

I took the line off and discovered that the nipple on the line had completely broken off. You know those little clips that hold the injection lines together. They do more than keep everything pretty. They also help to reduce vibration on your lines so that your nipples don't crack off. And let's face it KNOW BODY likes it when nipples fall off.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Damn. That's no bueno.

May be best to get a whole set.

At least the one and some of the line holders.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I'm sorry you just found out those hard lines REQUIRE THE VIBRATION DAMPNERS ON THEM... Or you break lines. I found this out the hard expensive way many years ago. It ended up costing me nearly $400.00 at the dealer for the cylinder number 2 line. Thats the first cylinder on the drivers side and at the bottom of the injection pump. I was not confident enough to replace it myself and you bet it taught me a lesson and I learned to repair my stuff after that... If you need a line I have many complete sets of new and used lines. I just need a cylinder number to help you. Please take this to pm so I might help.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a very fair price Darrin has there. Search ebay for just one line. I'll bet the lowest price you find is $44.00 a piece from dieselogic. a few years ago I saw they had a van set offered for $99.00 and free shipping and they were assembled too...:eek::thumbsup: I posted that here and soon after my purchase they had a much higher list for the sets trucks or van plus an assembly fee...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online