Looking for rear leaf spring interchange confirmation...

yellaheep

Reaction score
The rear leaf packs on my '93 F350 are cracked and the 3 middle leafs have fallen out of the driver's rear spring pack leaving the other halves pinched in place. Obviously, I need to replace these spring packs. I have the 5 leaf packs. (main, 3 leaves, and an overload).

From what I've been able to determine.......

Spring packs from '88 to '97 were unchanged for the F250?

Spring packs from a '99 Super Duty will not work on my '93?

Do I have this correct? I can buy some '99 leaf packs dirt cheap, but it appears they won't work....... right?

Thanks!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Springs would be different depending on a variety of factors. All you really need are to find ones that have the correct lenght, width, centers, rate and arch. LOL If the packs from the 99 are the correct width, you could probably combine them with your existing main leaf (removing the main leaf from the 99 pack) and make out OK. Or take the whole caboodle to a spring shop and have them rebuild you a set from them.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
80-97 is actually the same
I believe the 99 springs are the same width,
but not sure on lenght, the bolts in the eyes are different, but you may be able to keep your main leaf and just replace what needs replaced.
Ive done that on a few trucks, left the main in place and built from there., saves trying to get the bolts out.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always done the same, leave the main leaf in place. There are aftermarket "add-a-leaf" kits that consist of two leaves each side, which just happen to replace the second and third leaf perfectly. (The second and third leaf are the most often to fail).

What I do is go to the junkyard and get a couple of good spring packs, then combine them with my existing pack.

You will notice that the second leaf ends tend to dig into the main leaf and wear it away. What I do is cut most of the eyes out of the donor main leaf, then put it under the existing main leaf to create a pseudo-military wrap.

When I'm done I usually have 2 - 3 leaves more than stock. In my experience more than that will leave you with a harsh ride.

If you have the little metal spacers between the leaves, TAKE THOSE OUT. They are there to make the springs ride softer and IMO are a contributor to the leaves cracking because they create pressure points in the leaves.

I've rebuilt at least 4 or 5 different Ford truck / van leaf packs in this manner. I'll never pull a main leaf if I have a choice.

yellaheep

Reaction score
cookoo Guys, that's awesome info! I was sweating it about how I was gonna get these old leafs out with the truck being a bit Iowa rusty..... never crossed my mind to simply cut the center pin and "rebuild" the leafs leaving the main spring in place..... Brilliant!

Thanks a ton guys! I now have an action plan. ;Sweet

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also have to bend the spring clamps. Just heat the bend cherry red with a torch and bend them straight up. You might have to heat a couple times, if you try to force them cold they WILL break.

yellaheep

Reaction score
Crap - that's right, totally forgot about the retainer clamps...... that makes things difficult at the salvage yard....

Generally, our Colorado based trucks aren't that rusty and the parts come apart fairly decently. But this '93 from Iowa I'm working on..... gonna be interesting......

Soaking in PB Blaster as we speak........ wish me luck.

yellaheep

Reaction score
Got lucky and found a guy selling rear springs already off the truck for $40!

This should make it much easier to do the heating of the retainers and rebuild the leafs rather than swap the entire setup.

Thanks for all the good info!