Looking @ a 6.0 Got a few questions.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Hey,

I don't know much about the 6.0's but I have an opportunity to purchsae an '06 dually crew cab with 73,000 on the ticker. It's one of my dealers I haul for & he's offering it to me for 22,500.00 I haven't driven it but I did look it over briefly today. It's got a check engine light on , which he will have to take care of but my questions are:

1. it ran a bit rough as soon as it cranked over then smoothed out after about 10 seconds. What would cause that? It hasn't been sitting long because a buddy of mine hauled it in this past friday.

2. The bottom of the turbo mount is wet with oil residue & there looks to be some residue in the valley. Is this normal for the 6.0 especially a 73,000 mile one?

3. It has an intake and exhaust already on it plus there's a knob mounted poorly in the dash which doesn't appear to do anything. It's loose so when I turned it, it just spins because I can't grab the base of the knob. No clicks is what I'm getting at. Could be a 4 or 6 position chip knob. Where would I look for the chip or absense of one? If there was a chip & it was removed, would that kick off the check engine light if it was tapped into something else? If it had an edge module or something like that, where would I look under the hood for the signs that it might have been there?

4. Does 22,500.00 sound like a good price? I've checked Kelley Blue Book & ebay & autotrader & it seems to be a good price. It's 500.oo over what he bought it for at the auction.

I can look touch & feel this truck because it's local but I don't know enough about the 6.0 to know if I'm walking into another problem child like the '03 has been. Any input is greatly appreciated.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scott-
don't do it. really.
you failed to mention the year the truck is.
somebody has already beat on it(evidence of the tune mod)
the 6.0 is far more finicky on good care compared to the 7.3
lastly, if the dealer is looking out for you, an extra 8k will get you a brand new truck with a full warranty.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
It's a 2006. I'm not saying there was definately a chip, I just don't know what the knob is on the dash. Could have something to do with the DVD system. There's switches for light & other stuff all long the dash. May or may not be a chip knob. I'm gonna go back & climb through it better on friday. This dealer is used vehicles only. Clicky

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a ford extended warranty that is available. there are several grades of it. i did the same thing you're lookin at. so far so good. if it is cold, that cold cause the rough idle. try cycling the GP's 2-3 times... works great on mine. below 45, 2x, below 35, 3x, below 30, 4x. no missin, roughness at all. its a newer diesel thing. the old IDI's actually cycled the GP's on their own based on a special temp sensor. b ut, they proved to kill GP's when the sensor died, so ya know...i got the lower grade. the only part it doesnt cover on a 6.0L that is a high failure rate is the egr cooler.it does cover the valve though. it was 1200 or 1500. up to 200k miles or 7 yrs from date of manufacture... just make sure that they remove the tuner. the 6.0L is not a good engine to blot crap onto. no mod from cat forward, no intake mods. no tuners... (they know when a tuner has been on... dont matter what it is, if it does anythang to the sensor readings or ecm programming, they know it...) good luck. my 04, dually will drag my wifes 99 7.3 around all day and mine is a 6-speed. the torque shift has even more git up and go to it...

LouBraun

Reaction score
Recommend writing down the truck's VIN and then visit a Ford dealer to get the OASIS report on that truck.

THis will give you the repair history and (more important) if the truck has been flagged as being modified.

Lou Braun

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2. The oasis will let you know how much drama has been associated with that truck since new. At 73,000 miles the engine is still under warranty so if there were any issues that were ongoing the oasis will be your best bet at finding out about them.

Go to the Superduty forum on FTE and post the vin# in the Oasis report thread. Someone will get back to you pretty quickly most times.

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an 04 that is mint minus a couple thistle scratches on the passenger side dually fender. 6.0L, six-speed, 4x4, dually, xlt, 64K miles. runs great, no problems-every. oasis report from ford is clean. carfax is clean...PM me if interested... but definitly get an OASIS report like the others said on that truck. and have it scanned by a ford shop to see if has any codes in it that are considered linked to a tuner... also, if it has any exhaust mods, cat-forward, any warranties are null-and-voided...

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Oasis is 3 pages long. Alot of head gasket & oil leaks. # 5 inj. replaced twice along with the EGR replaced twice. Didn't look closely at the exhaust but I've decided to pass this one by. Too much drama. Looks cool & all but that got me in trouble last time around.

How about this one though. $15800.00 It's an '05 with 89,000 on it. Oasis shows a few recalls and 4 injectors replaced. Only other thing is some misc fittings replaced. I drove it & it runs much better than any 6.0 i've driven out of an auction. The motor is bone stock & completely dry top to bottom. I can't find a leak anywhere. Only problem I found is the 4wd doesn't engage when the hubs are on auto but works fine when turned into the lock position. Is that how they are supposed to work or should they lock in auto if you flip the switch inside. Problem is I want a Lariat & this one is an XLT. Anybody know if the harnesses would be tucked away for the power/heated seats & the overhead trip computer? The dealer will put lariat seats in front & back for that price, then I just need the computer. I really wanted the steering wheel controls for the accessories that the lariat has but I guess I can't be too picky at that price. Opinions please?

Attachments

• beachbound dually.jpg
    beachbound dually.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 11
  • green dually2.jpg
    green dually2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 9
  • greendually 3.jpg
    greendually 3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 10

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno You know you ain't gonna be happy unless you have to pull the front clip apart at least once so I say skip the 6 oh no, buy an F350 gasser that no body wants right now and drop in a common rail Cummins with a six speed allison and be happy. :D

Get a gasser because it already has the correct throttle cable and cuise control setup for the Cummins and is cheaper than the diesel.

Then smile when you tell people you get 14 - 15 mpg pulling that BIG fiver. No kidding, I get 15 mpg pulling my fiver. Got 12 pulling that 18k Newmar Kountry Air 5vr that I sent you pics of and avg 22 empty.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I don't want any problems on the road if something would let loose. With a conversion like that, my luck dictates NOBODY would touch it if it was major. I may just end up keeping the 7.3 but I've got a guy willing to give me a great price for it.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;ReallyYou don't want problems on the road and are looking at one of the most problematic diesels Ford ever had:rotflmao cookoo :angel:

What you need is a 2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Dually SLT 2WD
- Cummins 600, 6 Spd, 3.73 rears
- 175k miles
- Bully Dog Triple Dog
- AFE Stage 2 Intake
- 4" turbo back no kitty
- Curt Q5 20k fifthwheel
- Draw-Tite pro series 25k gooseneck
- In bed 7 pin plug
- Curt 10k round bar WD hitch
- 12k Pintle hitch
- 5k air bags with in cab control
- RDS 91 gallon Aux tank

:D One of the best trucks I have ever owned, 90k miles in about 7 or 8 months (over half were towing) and only needed 1 lousy U joint;Sweet.......

Mine ain't for sale, go find your ownLOL

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
;ReallyYou don't want problems on the road and are looking at one of the most problematic diesels Ford ever had:rotflmao cookoo :angel:

What you need is a 2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Dually SLT 2WD
- Cummins 600, 6 Spd, 3.73 rears
- 175k miles
- Bully Dog Triple Dog
- AFE Stage 2 Intake
- 4" turbo back no kitty
- Curt Q5 20k fifthwheel
- Draw-Tite pro series 25k gooseneck
- In bed 7 pin plug
- Curt 10k round bar WD hitch
- 12k Pintle hitch
- 5k air bags with in cab control
- RDS 91 gallon Aux tank

:D One of the best trucks I have ever owned, 90k miles in about 7 or 8 months (over half were towing) and only needed 1 lousy U joint;Sweet.......

Mine ain't for sale, go find your ownLOL
That ain't what I meant funny guy:backoff. Don't want a hodge podge under the hood of mixed parts. One brand & one place to go if something breaks is what I was getting at.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Scott i hardly know you but i cant believe you would want to try a 6.0 after what you went through with your 7.3. if it was me i'd keep the hopped up 7.3. or try a Dodge.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
That's not out of the realm of possibilites either. Keeping the 7.3 I mean. I can't see buying a Dodge. The crew cab is just too small with a family of four on long trips. This all came up sorta suddenly & the guy that wants my 7.3 popped up at the same time. He's willing to pay what I want for it & isn't scared off by the motor replacement. If you want a diesel truck, now is the time to buy one, so, I started looking into it. Things just kinda lined up all at once which is why I'm even typing this. If I don't find something solid I'm happy with, I'll keep the 7.3

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't get anything that you think might have been modified. You never know what they might have had on the truck or how much they abused the truck. It just isn't worth the risk to me. For that price, I would look for one that you know wasn't modified and buy it. Just my .02.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online