Lookin at this IDI....

4byininoregon

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

first time poster here! long-time lurker.....i've read quite a few of the FAQ's, includin the one on what to look for when buyin an IDI. Seen quite a few of them on CL lately, and got curious....

This 'beauty' popped up on the Portland Craigslist for $1300.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/car/427612991.html

I know it's kind of rough, and I'm guessing the odo is 192k in actuality....

All I need it for is occasional hauling, and hunting season, and just to give the car a break once in a while!

Can anybody chime in on anything the FAQ may have missed, or anything else to expect? going to look at it this afternoon

Thanks!
-Mike

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yup, I've seen that truck on there for the past couple of months. What part of Oregon are you from? If you do go and buy it I have a bunch of exterior parts, like a grille, that'll I'll let you have for cheap.

Now what to look for... First off, have you had any experiences with IDI's? I would go there and hear it run, and drive it around and make it sure nothing obvious is wrong with it. Check for blow by, by taking off the oil fill cap when the truck is warmed up, and see how much oil smoke stuff comes out. You dont want alot. Check all of the fluids, make sure there up to par. Crawl under the truck and look for oil leaks, ect... Other than that I cant really think of anything. I'm sure others will chime in with some other stuff to look for.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That truck actually looks to be in good shape, besides the obvious off-color body parts and the missing grille and bumper.

My concern would be how much frame damage was done in the wreck that required the front clip to be changed out.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
The hood and fender line up well so the wreck was probobly minor. It looks like a lot of truck for the money to me provided it runs well. Looks like a great huntin', fishin', trash hauler.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Not a bad deal, He is willing to deal, and look like it has been for sale for a while, offer him $800.00 and see what happend. That would be a Smokin deal!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Not a bad deal, He is willing to deal, and look like it has been for sale for a while, offer him $800.00 and see what happend. That would be a Smokin deal!

Yeah he has come down in price. I remember seeing it a couple months ago and it he wanted something like $1700 for it. I agree with Darrin here, offer him $800 and see what he does.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
$500 or $800 on a truck listed for $1300? That to me is just insulting.

Not to insult Darrin, but ALL the used car dealers I know around here would offer him $200, then have him convinced he is getting way more than it is worth giving him $500, all the while selling him another car for $5000.00 that they bought for $250.00! :)

My dad drives for a used car dealership so have I on occasion!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Um blame dat on my fawder ...he duh won who gone dun tawt me to weel and deel on tings like dat.

Hek we dun just gots usa tent trailer for $100 here, gitten a bote for same!

Da ole man always said if a car dealer made a 100 bucks on a sale, he made his wage!

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score

:dunno I got my last car for $700... guy had it listed for $1700, it just depends on if they want to get rid of it or not.

Looks like a not bad truck depending on how it runs. If you can point out enough stuff that you would have to do on it, and still want to buy it, you never know what they will take.

4byininoregon

Reaction score
So I went to look at it yesterday and....WOW!! $800 might just be about right.

Here's what I found:

It was running when I got there, no visible leaks, motor is actually REALLY clean, I was surprised. Has a new starter solenoid and glow plug relay. Made them shut it down, and fire it back up, and it didn't hesitate a bit.
Body is REALLY rough, some good dents, scrapes, scratches, maybe a bit more than the norm for as old as the truck is.

The guy said he had to hit with a shot of ether first thing in the morning to get it to fire up, but after that you're good to go. I'm thinking the glow plugs are probably shot, or close?

Now for the interior......the stereo wiring is GONE, or close enough, lots of trim is missing. Has what used to be a nice set of buckets, and the door panels are shot to he** and have big holes in 'em.

I also found out it was sitting for 2 years, prior to the guy putting the body back together and starting it. Also.....they couldn't find the switch to select between front/rear fuel tanks!! :)

SOrry for the ramble.....I think if i could get it for $800-900 and tinker with it in my spare time, it would work as a 'wheelin/hunting rig.

-Mike

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So I went to look at it yesterday and....WOW!! $800 might just be about right.

Here's what I found:

It was running when I got there, no visible leaks, motor is actually REALLY clean, I was surprised. Has a new starter solenoid and glow plug relay. Made them shut it down, and fire it back up, and it didn't hesitate a bit.
Body is REALLY rough, some good dents, scrapes, scratches, maybe a bit more than the norm for as old as the truck is.

The guy said he had to hit with a shot of ether first thing in the morning to get it to fire up, but after that you're good to go. I'm thinking the glow plugs are probably shot, or close?

Now for the interior......the stereo wiring is GONE, or close enough, lots of trim is missing. Has what used to be a nice set of buckets, and the door panels are shot to he** and have big holes in 'em.

I also found out it was sitting for 2 years, prior to the guy putting the body back together and starting it. Also.....they couldn't find the switch to select between front/rear fuel tanks!! :)

SOrry for the ramble.....I think if i could get it for $800-900 and tinker with it in my spare time, it would work as a 'wheelin/hunting rig.

-Mike

Yup, if you were to buy it, definatly talk him down on the price.

Remeber I got a grille and front bumper I could give ya for real cheap ;Sweet .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online