Lift Questions

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about stick a 6-8" Lift under the old girl. Most likely blocks in the back and new springs and such up front. Maybe a shackle reversal + a 4" kit if that would work.

Anyway. Aside from the lift components them selves, what else would i need when lifting this high ? Brake lines are obvious but im wondering about driveline angles and such ?

fullsizebronco

Reaction score
drive line angle will be awesome if you do the shackle flip in the rear i have done it to a few fords do you have a solid front axle or a ttb? if a solid front go with this to match the shackle flip http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=162 if you have a ttb ...buy a dana 60 before you put 8 inches in lol

myself i just installed a 3 inch body lift then a 4 inch suspension lift in the front and a shackle flip in the rear that totaled about 6 inches and i can probably fit a 39-40 inch tire as my f 250 sits a little higher than my f150 that has 38.5 on it but i dont think ill be adding anymore lift until i can find myself a dana 60 and with installing the dana 60 i guess you get at least another inch of lift so the truck should sit nice and level after that hope that helps at all

if you need any more links like lift kits i can post them up for you just ask

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys do about the front driveshaft length? My truck has a 4 inch lift with the dana44 ttb, and it's had a vibration when I am in 4wd since I bought it. I know what the problem is, it's the front driveshaft.

When I did the zf swap, this moved the transfer case back 1 more inch, and the vibration became terrible. That's when I found the splines in the front driveshaft were over extended. I found if I slide the driveshaft together, the play in the splines disappeared.

So I had a new driveshaft made, 2 inches longer than the old one. The vibration is much better now, but it's not totally gone away. I have ridden in two different trucks, both stock height f350's with the Dana 60 frontend, and you absolutely cannot tell the hubs are locked in, no hint of vibration.

I am wondering if I convert to the double cardon joint like the f350's have, if that would cure my vibration problem. I am assuming I have a driveline angle problem, and am wondering if the double cardon (some places call it a cv joint) driveshaft would be a cure-all for this.

Does anyone else with a lift have problems like this with the front driveshaft? Remember, I want NO vibration in the front. How many of you have some vibration in the frontend when the hubs are locked in?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I have a 4" Rough Country lift in mine. Uses lift springs in the rear, not blocks. Came with a pitman arm, panhard bracket, and swaybar links. I ended up deleting the swaybars shortly after.

Stock driveshafts are okay. Rear support bearing acted up immediately afterwards, but fine since I changed it.

I'm not a big fan of double-cardans. The inner stub-trunion thing is often wiped out by the time you get to overhauling them -cuss. Mine was/is borderline but I slapped it together with new u-joints and its good enough. Next time it gets a balanced & shortened D50TTB shaft. Might not be vibration-free with 4" lift, but I want a shaft that will last. The other option is finding a larger t-case yoke to handle say a 1410 joint which can take more angle before vibrating. Finally, there's High-Angle Driveline if none of that pans out. :sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really prefer to the 4" suspension lift and 2" body lift to a 6" suspension lift. Keeps the driveline angles more reasonable, reduces stress on the suspension and chassis, and gives you the height you want and a more serviceable truck all the way around. I know some are not fond of body lifts, but a 2" lift is really not a big deal. I have had my 4" lift under the truck since 85' and have never had any driveline issues using original drive shafts.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I am curious. Why do you want 6-8" of lift? i have 6" under one truck and 8" under another. I want to lower them both

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bigger tires are sooOOOOooo expensive. Guess your putting used ones on?

fullsizebronco

Reaction score
I would like to run 40's. But i guess ill stick to 35"s and 4".

Can i see pictures of yours = )

with a 4 inch suspension and a 3 inch body you should be able to fit a 39-40 inch tire my f150 sits lower than my f250 and it fits 38.5s and i didnt have to extend anything

I am curious. Why do you want 6-8" of lift? i have 6" under one truck and 8" under another. I want to lower them both

lol then you must be getting old ;) ill take your trucks off you and you can buy a nice low 2 wheel drive ;) but seriously you have some nice looking trucks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online