lets see your engine stands

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I'm with Shadetree on this one. Any time you exceed the rated capacity, you are just looking for trouble.

Trouble finds me easily enough, I don't have to go looking for it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
here is mine fully dressed. I did add some angle iron to help out a bit.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for the great picture of the serpentine belt path. Without that pic its hard for me to recall which way the belt travels from pulley to pulley. P.S... If your running the hydroboost brakes you can run the belt over the top of the vacuum pump pulley. I did because I didn't know better and it seemed to fit and operate fine..... Till I got to the ralley in 2008.... While looking at my engine Travis (argve) asked me how my vacuum was...:dunno Seemed to work fine... Why do you ask that.... Cause your pulley is not touching the belt and the belt is on the wrong side of the pulley...:eek:LOL So after verifying this by looking at other trucks I figured all the vacuum was doing is running the vent doors and the cruise controll.... I fixed it when I got home 2000 miles later... The things we learn when we think we know it all... I'm still learning all the time. Its when I think I have seen it al is when something new to me comes along here.... Still the best site for the correct information on these engines and trucks.....:thumbsup:

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Thanks for the great picture of the serpentine belt path. Without that pic its hard for me to recall which way the belt travels from pulley to pulley. P.S... If your running the hydroboost brakes you can run the belt over the top of the vacuum pump pulley. I did because I didn't know better and it seemed to fit and operate fine..... Till I got to the ralley in 2008.... While looking at my engine Travis (argve) asked me how my vacuum was...:dunno Seemed to work fine... Why do you ask that.... Cause your pulley is not touching the belt and the belt is on the wrong side of the pulley...:eek:LOL So after verifying this by looking at other trucks I figured all the vacuum was doing is running the vent doors and the cruise controll.... I fixed it when I got home 2000 miles later... The things we learn when we think we know it all... I'm still learning all the time. Its when I think I have seen it al is when something new to me comes along here.... Still the best site for the correct information on these engines and trucks.....:thumbsup:

All the extra parts behind your seat and you don't know how to put them on :angel:LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... Matt... I just messed up with the belt. It fit.... It looked right.... It felt right.... So I drove it that way for about 3000 miles.... See... i learn by doing and reading and sometimes I get by with a little help from my friends...:angel: The behind the back seat has become a museum of idi parts....

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, have you ever had an IDI on that stand??? Not to be a ****, but if you havent, then you have no room to talk...

Mine works just fine... Would I put it through the ringer working on it? No, I dont think Id trust it for that, But Its fine for holding the engine and doing minor work on it while its in the garage, hasent collapsed yet, and I dont think it will...

No I haven't put an IDI on it. I didn't like the way if flexed with a 360 on it. It just seems like too much stress on too few welds.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have a Harbor Freight 1200lb 4 wheel stand that I bent with a 302 on it. -cuss JUNK *** CRAP
I also have a older FREE 3 wheel stand that i currently have a Long Block PSD on for over 2 years. It holds it just fine, but it cab be tipsy since it is just a 3 wheeler

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have mine torn down right now, but it's a pretty nifty setup. The engine stand mounts directly to the cherry picker which makes it extremely stable, and then when you need to turn it over, just hook a chain from teh cherry picker to a bolt lower down and pump it up ;Sweet Beats the heck out of muscling one over ( which I couldn't do any more in my dreams)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> ANOTHER HOME IMPROVEMENT PROJECT <<<

:D OLDBULL is gonna keep flashing around those pictures of that under-hood creeper until I have to take time to cobble one up for myself.

Every time I see it, I decide that tomorrow I am gonna weld one up; alas, tomorrow has been awfully slow getting here.

I saw pictures of one very similar on a farm tractor site, made onto the cherry-picker hoist, and this one also had added a 3-point hook-up, such that it and whatever was hanging on the hoist could be packed around with the Cockshutt or Avery and used sort of boom-pole style. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use this engine stand for storing a parts IDI.
You must be registered for see images attach

At a swap-meet a few months ago, some guy had a stack of probably a hundred of those yellow engine carriers for sale --- $29 apiece.

He had three or four assembled as demonstrators with various types of engines on them.

He also had a fancier version that one could mount a radiator, battery, and such, plus it had a complete gauge panel, where one could run an engine indefinitely.

Alas, my intentions were to pick up a couple of those $29 stands before I headed home --- it was a HUGE swap-meet ---; I completely forgot about them until I was almost back home. :confused:

I notice several have little good to say about Harbor Freight stuff.

My own many experiences have been much different; I have LOTS of their stuff.

I have learned that Harbor Freight usually has at least three grades of each product that they sell; decent if not mis-treated, mediocre and up to most tasks, and very heavy-duty and well-built.

I have one of their table-saws that I would put against anything similar made by Delta, FOX, Grizzly, or Powermatic.

The reason I state this is that, for those of us with no extra cash to throw around, Harbor Freight often means the difference between having tools to work with or doing without.

Everything else, regardless of fancy name or high price, is also made in China, Thailand, India, or anywhere but here.

Nothing is made in USA anymore; the EPA has seen to that.

I have several Harbor Freight heavy-duty "Pittsburgh" ratchets, life-time un-limited warranty --- no questions asked, 1/4-, 3/8- and 1/2-drive; most of these ratchets are twenty-plus years old.

I have never had one slip.

I have never had one break.

I have never had one fail to do the job I asked of it.

I am completely satisfied with these tools.

Recently, I was at a swap-meet and some guy had a whole inventory of very well USED name-brand tools; Snap-On, MAC, Klein, SK, etc., etc.; there was not a foreign made tool in the lot.

He had a bunch of skinned-up grimy 1/4-drive ratchets, mostly Snap-On, nothing special or collectible, just plain old half-wore-out ratchets.

I figured probably two-bucks apiece.

When I asked him how much, :eek: $37.50 each --- for old dirty skinned-up used ratchets; I don't even want to know how much one would cost straight off that big white step-van.

I very carefully laid them back down and got away from there.

I bet I don't have that much invested in my whole collection of Harbor Freight ratchets and I got mine brand-new in the box.

I also bet that my ratchets will still be wrenching long after those pricey ones have gave up the ghost. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online