lets see your engine stands

78fordf150

Reaction score
okay so i have my 6.9 out of my truck and i went to put it on my engine stand and looked at the load rating 750max:rotflmao, so I build one out of 2'' sch,Pics soon

what do you guys use for holding your motor?

Reaction score
2 people. As it sits right now it has everything put together (except cam crank pistons and bolts are barely on to save space...sounds weird I know) with my ats turbo, I've bumped it a few times and it was surprisingly sturdy. I haven't had it on with the accessories yet but im assuming it would be just as sturdy. 2000lb rating

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's mine, a cheap Harbor Freight. Then I made this mouinted on the engine hoist to work on the engine in the truck. Yeah, it's a ***** to rotate with any of them.

You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• DSCF0930.JPG
    DSCF0930.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF0937.JPG
    DSCF0937.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 46

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Pretty clever Oldbull, I just stand on a 5 gallon bucket and put a pillow on the radiator. Good for a cussword every few when the bucket slides out.LOL

I thought someone said the HF stand was no good but last I was there the weight rating was enough:dunno. I have the 2 ton crane from there that has been fine other than I broke a wheel off but I was ******* it and once I quit running around town, I was able to order the wheel from HF on the phone for a good price.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty clever Oldbull, I just stand on a 5 gallon bucket and put a pillow on the radiator. Good for a cussword every few when the bucket slides out.LOL

I thought someone said the HF stand was no good but last I was there the weight rating was enough:dunno. I have the 2 ton crane from there that has been fine other than I broke a wheel off but I was ******* it and once I quit running around town, I was able to order the wheel from HF on the phone for a good price.

The TopSide Creeper wasn't my idea, just copied it and made my own. They do sell them, but damn expensive. Mine is adjustable also 9" higher.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=topside+creeper+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=topside+creepers&_rdc=1

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the one we use here at the shop, our buddy John built it, he is a machinist, I have used it for IDI's and my Cummins. I put a jack under the Cummins just to take the weigh off of the Adapter Plate on the back of the motor, per a advice from a Cummins Guy. It actually was on there for a week or so before I put the jack under it.

Also you can see a pic of the guy that "Paints Stuff Blue",...there he goes again,..cookoo

Anyway the thing is one Heavy Duty Motor stand!;Sweet

Attachments

• Jack stand.JPG
    Jack stand.JPG
    390.4 KB · Views: 71
  • SV500001.JPG
    SV500001.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 84
  • SV500013.JPG
    SV500013.JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 59

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is one I built 17 years ago to to rebuild Allison V730 transmissions, they weigh 1200#, the TC on the back is 24" dia. Changing it over for the IDI's today. The gear box was from a chain feeder in a chicken coop, 32:1 ratio. Cranked over real easy.

You can see the tranny is wrecked, had it loaded on the trailer on the stand, at the 1st stop it went over the front of the trailer, busted the stand off, sheered the pan off and the trailer wheel was setting on top of the tranny, pulled the trailer off, unloaded the engine hoist, picked up everything and went on my way before the cops showed up. :eek::eek: :puke: :rotflmao

Attachments

• DVC01470.JPG
    DVC01470.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 36
  • DVC01469.JPG
    DVC01469.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DVC01472.JPG
    DVC01472.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DVC01473.JPG
    DVC01473.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I didn't trust my small engine stand with a fully dressed IDI.
You must be registered for see images attach

Plus they had this stand rated at 1250#s on sale at Princess Auto for $99. Perfect timing! ;Sweet

I use this engine stand for storing a parts IDI.

Snow mobile dollies are really handy for setting stuff on so you can move it around. :sly

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I used an old 3 point engine stand that was probably rated at 500 lbs. A big block chevy (600 lbs) was OK on it, but the IDI made it swoon. I have modified it over the years, putting larger wheels on and bracing the upright a little. I don't recommend its use for the weak of heart. Guessing at the CG of the IDI was a real hoot, too. Didn't get it, but close enough that I was able to wrestle it upright after turning it upside down with the heads and manifolds on. Yikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online