leaf spring/ air bag hybrid suspension

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it work to remove most of the leaves from the leaf spring pack and then install air bags (properly sized to carry the weight of the vehicle + payload).

The remaining few leaves would take care of keeping everything in proper geometry, and the air bags would carry the load.

Seems like it'd be far simpler and more affordable than all the link-type arrangements.

Probably not as nice as the link-types, but still better-riding than the stock arrangement.

Has anyone done this?

Any serious pitfalls/ drawbacks?

Thanks

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Lmc truck offers a helper bag kit. Truck rides level untill u put a load on it then u air them up to make it level again. It's $250 bucks but prolly worth it??

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about this for a wheelin rig, dont see why it wouldnt work on whatever. Use the main leafs to locate the axle and bags for ride height.

Only thing I could see being an issue would be the leafs twisting and allowing the axle to walk.

Stu

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of this myself, but I'd leave the front part of the leaves alone, and cut off the rear portion of about 1/2 of the pack. This would help control axle wrap, but still give you lower spring rate for a good ride.
Travis..

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spring wrap would ruin the main leaf, resulting with a snapped leaf ending in complete failure. 4-link in any application is the way to go.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Spring wrap would ruin the main leaf, resulting with a snapped leaf ending in complete failure. 4-link in any application is the way to go.

Exactly. If you want spring wrap from hell feel free to remove a few leaves from the pack and put air bags in there... LOL

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. If you want spring wrap from hell feel free to remove a few leaves from the pack and put air bags in there... LOL

True you'd have to control wrap, easy enough to do with out having to link it.

Stu

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But what if he adds traction bars from the axle to the frame of the truck? Then there will be no axle wrap, and no fatiguing the leafs.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
If you are going to go through the trouble to build traction bars why not take it half a step further and build them right and toss a panhard bar on there and just run the bags without leaves? If you're going to do it just do it right.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking of ordering a set of Deaver or National Springs for the truck, that should make it run 100x better and you will still have the weight capacity. The downfall is the springs would probably be about $1300 for the pair, plus a nice pair of shocks?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to go through the trouble to build traction bars why not take it half a step further and build them right and toss a panhard bar on there and just run the bags without leaves? If you're going to do it just do it right.

Oh, but traction bars are so much easier to build than 4-link setups - we did a 4-link on my ex's El Camino (with a 14-bolt full-floater of all things) and it was a ton of work, compared to that the traction bars we built for a buddy's lifted Bronco were like a walk in the park... Don't get me wrong, I like good 4-links just as much as the next guy, all I'm saying is sometimes depending on the application they ain't worth the trouble to build.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Links are easy to build and the mounts are cheap to buy pre made. Ballisticfabrication and Ruffstuffspecialties both sell everything you could ever need to build your own link systems. All the brackets and whatnot is a mouse click and credit card entry away. I'd go links and air bags for just a bit over the cost of custom leaf springs. One thing to keep in mind with bags is unless it's a low rider you'd better have a damned good set of shocks and a sway bar on there of you'll be crapping your pants when loaded... LOL

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score