knocking noise! help

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well last night i forgot to plug up my truck, and it took a little while to get it started. so i went to school, and later around 3:00 i went home. Btw its about 8 degrees here. And when i started it up then, I heard a knocking noise. It is very noticable, escpecially on the outside. Speed of it increases when rpm's increase.
It actually stopped doing it for a little while, then started again, and the loudness of it has been changing. It doesn't seem at all to be in the engine, more like the transmission area. Is this something because of the cold weather? anyone heard of this or had this happened? Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Probably just an injecter or maybe the exhaust system is hitting something. You may need to get under it when its running but... Make darn sure its in parking brake and the wheels are blocked.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, also, I was sitting there idling, and i would push down on the clutch, and it would start hitting, i would take it off the clutch and it have a different sound. Then sometimes it would still get louder with my foot off the clutch. Thats why i think it isnt an exhaust leak.

Would the bell housing have anything to do with it? my friend got under the truck, pushed on a cover on the bell housing(he thinks thats what it was) and it made a different noise. It seemed to quite down a little when he pushed on it.

Petes

Reaction score
My neighbor almost gave me his truck 'cause it was making such a knocking racket he was convinced he'd spun a bearing... It turned out to be a cover on the bellhousing was coming loose and "flapping". It sounds like maybe the same symptom as yours. Climb under there and look for loose things!

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alrighty im guna get under there and check it out, but shoot its 6 degrees here, ill prly wait lol

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got it in the garage, and me and a friend looked at it. now he told me something is hitting the cover on the bell housing(i forgot what it was) . The cover had both bolts missing, but we put one bolt in there and it seemed to get louder. He said it was bent in.
does that sound right?

Attachments

• noiseplate.jpg
    noiseplate.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there like a spacer that keeps the gaurd farther away from the bell housing? could some one please look and see? I would appreciate it! because i put a bolt and tightened it, and it was louder. shoot i'm stumped. me and my dad are going to check it out tomarrow

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no spacer, your cover is probably bent.remove it and see if the noise stops,engine off while removing of course.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah ok. It's kinda wierd because it started doing it when i started it up at school. It was really cold, the whole truck was shakin bad. do you think that had anything to do with it?

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no its running fine, its just when i started it up in the cold

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope, not at all. I thought it had something to do with it being cold, because it quit for like 5 minutes. then it started again, and now wont quit.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried taking the cover off the bottom of the bell housing to see if that is the source of the noise? If you have, I would also check the fluid in the transmission, just to make sure it is good (I don't think that is the noise,but it woud be good to check to make sure it is good on fluid) . The old dual mass flywheel of mine had all the springs broken but one and it was pretty noisy. Is the clutch depressing ok and releasing ok, a buddy of mine a long time ago had the clutch fork come loose in the transmission and it made lots of noise like that too, I actually had a mustang do the same thing. If you can't find the problem in the transmission area, you might have to look more towards the engine possibly a leaky injector.