Killed truck then no start.

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...killed truck went and ate came back outside and it wouldn't hit a lick. It turned over fine, no wet injectors caps(replaced about 8 months ago) so no obvious air leaks, have 12vdc to the FSS on the IP. Now when I pressed the Schrader valve on the filter head fuel did not come out, rather a short hiss of air, I couldn't crank and hold valve and didn't have a screwdriver to short across the starter solenoid. Tank was between 1/2&1/4. A friend of mine came and pull started it for me, started as soon as I let off the clutch, no rough idle, no smoke, but also no smoke while cranking. Any ideas.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE Any ideas.][/QUOTE]

Don't KILL it.

Yeah, your sucking air instead of fuel, at a 1/4 tank, your pickup screen, known as a shower head has fallen off or completely disintegrated. When you popped the clutch, engine turns over a lot faster than a 100 RPM cranking.

Attachments

• Shower head.JPG
    Shower head.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 43

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try and keep both tanks at 1/2 full. See if anything changes. As already posted. You probably have the dreded broken suction head in the tanks. You must remove the bed or drop the rear tank to fit it but.. The front tank is easy. Just remove the suction and return lines along with the wires and then knock out the ring that holds the sender in the tank. Be careful of the gasket and the locating pin in the tank lip. The pin keeps the sender aligned so the fuel lines will connect correctly. The lines are 5/16 for return and 3/8 for supply.

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i kinda thought about fuel level but i usuall run tanks to 1/8-1/4 and never really had a problem. Probably 40k on new injection pump. I replaced old pump due to heatsoak, this was different. I'm usually pretty savy on these old things and it hasn't done it again but we're having trust issues now until I fix something.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The showerhead can fall off anytime. just because it works one day doesn't mean it will the next

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everyone always boo's and hiss's about dropping these tanks.
its not that hard if you do it correctly.
and the correct way is to...DRAIN THE FUEL!
OR....
PULL THE BED!
now, pulling the bed isnt as easy for everyone. but 4 abled bodies can lift it.
then you can fix the pick ups without further adieu.

sometimes those bed bolts can suck.

before you start, i would suggest that you research going with a single rear tank.
by far one of the favorite mods ive done.
33-38 gallon rear tank can be had for 100 bucks, and a gasser sending unit is about 50 without fuel pump.

then you can delete the FSV!
which by the way, could very well be clogged with parts of the old pick up. so be ready for that.
usually people find out after fixing the tanks and getting it buttoned up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online