K&N filter bad or good?

o5Superduty

Reaction score
Trying to figure out why some people hate the K&N filter system? i have it on my truck and doesnt seem to have any problems working, better throttle response and seems to produce the extra hp/tq.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
on the OBS the filters never fit right.
on the 7.3 SD the drop in filters also didnt fit quite right, also the surface area was less than that of the stoick filter, and IMHO did not breath as well.
then with the cone stly filters afe. kn etc the cones where actually colapsing once the filter became dirty.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been numerous tests done over the years by more than one person, the KN style filters allow larger micron dust/dirt to pass into the intake. They work best when clogged, but then they collapse.

Then when you clean it, how do you know when its clean? How do you know if you got it re-oiled sufficiently but not over-oiled? I prefer the paper element that I can toss every 10-15K miles. Its cheap peace of mind knowing that its the first line of defense protecting your $7500 dollar engine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their always seems to be great debate over these regardless of the application. I've got them in everything I have, and have always had great luck with them. I guess the big issue is how well the owner maintains it or not. A paper filter takes that part out of the equation. I get my oil samples done by Blackstone and never have anything but great reports, and no silica or whatever at all. I suppose the environment you drive in is a big factor too, but I'm the kind of person who takes his foot off the pedal when driving through a cloud of dust regardless of what kind of filter I have. I imagine some people don't do that, and invite trouble.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose the environment you drive in is a big factor too, but I'm the kind of person who takes his foot off the pedal when driving through a cloud of dust regardless of what kind of filter I have. I imagine some people don't do that, and invite trouble.

If I did that I wouldnt get very far very fast.;p

o5Superduty

Reaction score
Nice input all , how do you know when the filter needs to be re-oiled? i dont drive my truck hard or through the dirt clouds and whatnot, so i think i will be ok with it not colapsing on me. but input on the re-oiling would be helpful.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you buy the filter you also need to get the Recharger kit #99-5000. Follow the directions on the spray can of oil for cleaning and reoiling. The oil is red so you can tell if you missed any area of the filter. Don't over oil.

o5Superduty

Reaction score
how long does the typical filter last b4 it needsto be reoiled? i realise that it depends on driving conditions, but under normal driving conditions, very rare instances of full throttle, no dirt/dust clouds or off road.. what would you guys speculate?

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only had mine in for about 3000mi. I'll check it at next oil change, another 2000mi. When you know it was red when installed you can tell by the color that it's working. I put one in my grandaughter's Galant and cleaned it every third oil change. (about 10,000mi) That may have been overkill but it was so easy to do. I plan on doing the one in the truck every other change.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
According to the PSD Factory guy I talked to, the only reason they use them in thier racing applications is because they get them free! He said he doesn't recommend them, and that they need to be recharged after every rain storm you drive in.
I,m back to the stock filter.

Chuck

rubberfish

Reaction score
they need to be recharged after every rain storm you drive in.
cookoo cookoo cookoo
That guys entitled to his opinion, but :***: :rotflmao
Water doesn't wash out the oil. That's why they
sell the cleaning kit. :) I would think a paper
filter would suffer more damage from the rain. :dunno
If rain even causes any damage at all to either one.

suv7734

Reaction score
how long does the typical filter last b4 it needsto be reoiled? i realise that it depends on driving conditions, but under normal driving conditions, very rare instances of full throttle, no dirt/dust clouds or off road.. what would you guys speculate?

Good way to tell is with one of these

http://www.filterminder.com/

Most big rigs and heavy equipment are equipped with them and it tells you what condition the filter is in at a glance, regardless of paper, K&N et.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 6.0 air filter checker is right underneath your overflow bottle my friend, just check it, and as a safegaurd id say clean it every 15k, thats what i use to do with my thunderbird, and that seemed to work ok, that motor has 165k on it and is still kicking, even with my abuse and lack of maintenance;Sweet

i like k&n's myself but i haven't had any problems with the fiting of there systems before

VALKYRIES

Reaction score
types of air filters

There was a good artical some years ago on different air filters. Something like Duramax Air Filter Tests. I have a copy here somewhere buried in with all my problems of my dodge since new. With the K&N it didn't stop the particles and wasn't able to hold them once trapped.No sorry don't remember the exact particulars of the K&N. Something like that it rated a number of other airfilters as well. I kept it because it was interesting.:dunno Sorry to say but why dust an engine, too expensive, unless your not going to keep it for long? Many years ago I heard a gent telling of him getting his Cat air filters for his dozer clean in the town south. IT cost him $50,000 for a new engine. If you want more air into the engine you have to double the size of your air filter.Simple. Bigger holes less particles will trap!

sassyrel

Reaction score
how well you maintain them my azzzz. the one i bought new, was oiled. so about 12,000 miles later the rings are out of my engine--and 1 qt of oil every 15 miles--like mike said about the particles. but heres the kicker, it lets the smaller particles thru--and thats just like taking polishing compound to the rings in your engine--eats the rings right out, and doesnt seem to bother the pistons, because there forged, or the ford blocks, because they are hard--and i bet id have a lot of fun trying to sue those pukes. the idependent tests i read one time--said the k&n only flowed like 2% better. your engine worth that-----------N O T !!!!!!! ths was a unbiased test not paid for by k&n!!!!!!!!!!!