Just stepped into the 21st century

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
Hey guys
I just sold my 94 7.3 turbo'd IDI and stepped into the 21st century and bought a 2006 F-350 crew cab 4X4 dually with 170k on it so any and all advice you guys could give me for longevity and ideas on good avg fuel numbers would be nice and any fellow canucks out there any cold weather advice with this NOISEY computer would be great thanx.:dunno

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the single best thing I've done is to run 5w40 synthetic oil in the engine. I personally am using the synthetic rotella because it's easy to find but if you prefer other synthetics I am sure you'll be okay. The reason for synthetic is due to the extremely high oil shear pressures required to fire the injectors. Regular oils break down and eventually lead to coking inside the injectors. This causes sticking injectors and the poor running associated with that issue. It is also the cause for most injector replacements. I change mine a 5k intervals. Early for a synthetic but this engine is ******* oil. Cold starts are great. Down below 0*f without being plugged in starts just fine.

Also change your fuel filters every 10,000 miles. I get them from International as they are less than half of what Ford charges.

Coolant filter is always a good start.

Make certain you have good batteries. The FICM (fuel injection control module) varies the voltage output to the injectors up to I think 48volts. If you have low voltage feeding it than it can overheat and damage itself trying to acheive it's target output voltage.

My best mileage comes from using an SCT tuner and an agressive street program. Then just drive easy (not too easy or you'll be below the good torque area). I've seen 19.5 on a 500 mile mostly interstate trip at 75-85 mph in rolling hills. Around town and back and forth to work it's closer to 17.5. Without the tuner it's mid to upper 15's in normal (for me) driving.

Also if the EGR is still intact don't idle for extended periods.

Run it hard every now and again to exercise the turbo (VVT). Best if you can put a heavy load on it regularly. Keeps the turbo vanes from sticking.

As for the 6.0 it really just needs proper and timely maintenance. Mine has been trouble free since I've owned it. Now at 112k (bought it at 70k). It has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. That includes 3 new cars (Toyota, Ford and Honda) and numerous used vehicles.

Enjoy your new truck.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with what Dirtleg has said.

Keep up on the basic maintenance and it will give you a long service life. I change the oil and filter every 5k miles with Motorcraft Oil and Filters. I change the fuel filters every 10k miles with Motocraft filters. I get the oil and filters at Advance and a full service is about $100. I would STRONGLY recommend not using anything but the Motorcraft filters. There have been many 6.0 damaged by aftermarket Oil and Fuel filters. The oil filter coming apart and sending filter innards throught the engine and HPOP system. Some aftermarket Fuel Filters do not have the water block membrane on them... and this as runined may injectors, and at one time, if Ford found any fuel filter installed that was not a Motorcraft, especially if it did not have the membrane, the would not warrenty the damaged injectors, or the repair costs associated with them. I feel very strongly to NOT put a tuner/chip/programmer of any kind on a 6.0. I know many have had very good luck with a tuner, but, I have found that in stock form... and yes mine is 100% stock from the stock air intake to the factory Cat and exhaust. The only "mod" that I have done is to install a FUMOTO valve in the oil pan. It will do anything that I ask of it, get pretty good milage and will start and take me and my family anywhere I want to go any time I turn the key. Travis (argve) has driven my truck, and he has even said he sees no reason to turn up my truck.... and that says alot. These are already running at 325hp/560Tq right out of the box. An IDI with a turbo gets just over 200 and a stock 7.3PSD was anywhere from 190-290 in the last model years, so going from a turbo IDI to a stock 6.0 is a world of difference from the start.

I have not had any cold start problems with my truck after I had the computer flashed with the Inductive Heating flash. I have started it below freezing without it being plugged in. I try to plug it in, just so that it is easier on the engine, and I have heat quicker.

From what I have found with mine, is do the recommened maintenance every 5 or 10k miles, and put fuel in it and it will treat you right.

Also, it should have the ESOF 4x4 system..... the front hubs are a vacuume actuated / manual lockout combo. When you turn the switch to 4x4, it will automatically lock the front hubs in. There is also a "knob" on the lockout that allows you to lock in the hubs all the time. I recommend that you, once a month or so, to manually enagage and disengage the lockouts, this keep them free and moving...... this is over and above just running the 4x4 peoiodically to keep everything lubed in the t-case and front axle.

I think you will really like this truck and if you have any questons please ask......

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Now Mel....... behave.....

I hate to say it..... but I have been reading the various PRTJ threads, and with my truck, if we were able to attend I would change the Fuel Filters, the Oil and Filter (Since both are about due) and fill the tank with Diesel and leave. I have been very happy with the reliability of my 6.0 and the only issue I have ever had with starting issues is when the alternator was failing and would not recharge the batteries..... other than that, put the key in the ignition, wait for the WTS light to go out, and drive where ever I choose.

Unfortunatly, due to the Ford bean counters getting ahold of the 6.0, instead of installing the IH tried and tested VT365 all of the Ford changed systems (I.E. Injectors and EGR System) caused the 6.0 to get a bad name, and Ford has paid a price for listening to the bean counters. I have been extremely happy with my 6.0 and most of the people that have them like them also. There are people that have problems, and those that have a very good experience with them. The IDI's are not without design faults, the 6.9 with the headgasket issues and the 7.3 with cavitaion. None of them are perfect, but with the proper use and care they all will provide the owner with years of good, reliable service.