Just installed turbo, Pre fill turbo with oil?

furfishgame

Reaction score
I finagled a rajay 300 onto my 7.3 idi, before i start it my question is, 1. Should i pour some oil into my turbo feed line and into the turbo it self fo i dont burn up my seals before oil makes its way there? Also, my oil return line is about level if not slighly higher going into my valve cover from where it comes out the bottom of the turbo. Is there a beter place to run it as i belive the return is gravity fed? Will it still flow where its at? Thanks!!

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd crank the engine over a few times with the oil feed line disconnected to flush out anything that was in the dead leg of the block that is now feeling the oil. I've always cranked truck over a few times with FSS disconnected when swapping s turbo. That last two times I syringed some oil in the top but it's such a small bearing it really doesn't gravity feed through

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finagled a rajay 300 onto my 7.3 idi, before i start it my question is, 1. Should i pour some oil into my turbo feed line and into the turbo it self fo i dont burn up my seals before oil makes its way there? Also, my oil return line is about level if not slighly higher going into my valve cover from where it comes out the bottom of the turbo. Is there a beter place to run it as i belive the return is gravity fed? Will it still flow where its at? Thanks!!

Did you get oil supply off the block by oil cooler, if so that passage needs thouroughly cleaned or the gunk will ruin the turbo. Just pumping oil thru it wont be enough.
Yes the passage in the turbo is small but it is well drilled and will oil itself by squirting into the top.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Clean out that oil galley! My engine was spotless up top, ask Russ, but it still had a bunch of crap there and destroyed my turbo in short order.

furfishgame

Reaction score
Now im scared. How do i go about throughly cleaning it? Yes i came off the small plug by the oilcooler...

Might that explain why i hear pretty much no turbo noise at all when i rev it up. I hope i didnt eff something up yet. Drove it for about 15 minutes home last night and the same back to work today.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I used a bore brush to ensure I got all the crap out, but it was basically clean by that point. The deposit already made its way to the turbo. Hopefully you lucked out. I knew within a few hundred miles that something was wrong as the turbo went on me. I don't know what the odds are that you had some crap go through your system, you could he alright?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now im scared. How do i go about throughly cleaning it? Yes i came off the small plug by the oilcooler...

Might that explain why i hear pretty much no turbo noise at all when i rev it up. I hope i didnt eff something up yet. Drove it for about 15 minutes home last night and the same back to work today.

I also used a gun bore brush to clean out that oil galley. There was a nice gob of sludge that came out. Then I pulled power to IP and cranked engine over until clean oil spilled out. Good to go after that. It's always a good idea to change oil after installing a new turbo too.