Joining the Powerstroke world

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So this coming friday I will be heading off to pick up my new to me truck. Its a 2001 F350 XLT with the good old 7.3 Powerstroke, the 4R100 Auto trans and the offroad package. It is an ext cab shortbox.

This is going to be a large upgrade in many ways from my good old 85 6.9IDI. According to my Wife, this is the truck I am not supposed to modify like my 85. So that really just means its open season on my 85 because once this new truck is in place, my 85 officially moves into "toy" status which could become expensive LOL.

And because I know it didn't happen until pictures are seen.. here are a couple of the new to me beast.

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sweet.
How many miles?

She has to let you do a 3 things for mileage. Lol
Intake, exhaust, and a chip.

My 94 4x4 dually got 17 with the zf, 4.10's, and a heavy winchbed.
Just had straight pipe at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its got around 154,000 miles. It needs a water pump, brakes, and tires. I picked it up for $2000. Quite a steal really thanks to family connections and timing.

Intake, exhaust and don't count as mods in her mind. Its anything that will make it unavailable to pull the trailer for more than a real short time. My black truck was down for a whole camping season as a result of suspension lifts, diff swaps and various problems. She doesn't want that to happen with this one. :p I cant say I blame her really.

I already have pyro, trans temp and boost gages in the plans. I need to know how things are doing as I haul the trailer. I'm real excited about this truck.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW, I guess you did steal it. What kind and size of camper you gonna pull with it?

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just a 21 foot pioneer spirit. 5600 pounds is the gross weight on it if I remember. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to notice it really with this truck.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but what kind of CherryBomb do you have on there? I'd love to hear a sample of it. I was thinking of putting the longest 3" one they make on mine instead of the turbo muffler, to help with freeflow, and also because I LOVE the idling/load sound of a glasspack, but I really don't like the acceleration CRACK (hence the length).

That's a STEAL you got there. Gonna be a great truck.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Great deal on that ride. ;Sweet;Sweet
Being an 01 you might want to find out if the tranny has been rebuilt. 01 4R100's were built with a Mechanical Diode. This sprag (one way clutch) has a very poor track record. This is why it was a one year thing.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but what kind of CherryBomb do you have on there? I'd love to hear a sample of it. I was thinking of putting the longest 3" one they make on mine instead of the turbo muffler, to help with freeflow, and also because I LOVE the idling/load sound of a glasspack, but I really don't like the acceleration CRACK (hence the length).

That's a STEAL you got there. Gonna be a great truck.

Thanks!

The cherry bomb I have is a 3 inch diameter one and its one of the longest I have seen. I don't think there is much left of the baffels in the tube anymore, it was pretty old when I put it on the truck, and its been through a couple years of driving.

Here are some youtube vids with high idle, regular idle and a couple of revs for reference.

High idle with revs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Y3xKq1SRg

Regular idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJhZIMhlEmQ&feature=youtu.be

Overall, I am happy with it, if I was to do it again, I would probably run two in a true dual exhaust and dump them both out the back of the truck on either side. the drone of the side dump gets old fast on long hauls.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great deal on that ride. ;Sweet;Sweet
Being an 01 you might want to find out if the tranny has been rebuilt. 01 4R100's were built with a Mechanical Diode. This sprag (one way clutch) has a very poor track record. This is why it was a one year thing.

It just so happens that it was replaced with a new transmission right at ford about 60,000 miles ago. He has the paperwork for that and the new glow plugs and harness also done at ford.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thrilled for sure! Now I want to give this transmission every opportunity to last as long as possible. Been doing research on doing just that. Looks like gages and a really big trans cooler are good starts.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, once I get the truck home, all oils, fluids and filters are being changed. That way I know where those are at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online