It runs again...

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Well, after a long wait my '93 lives again. It got a 6.2 bored .040" with some Sealed power pistons I had cut to 17.5:1 CR... I ceramic coated the pistons with some CBC1 from Techline coatings and they turned out nice. 6.5 heads with turbo precups along with unknown injectors. I fitted it with a "modified" by me injection pump...

That 17.5:1 CR makes it require alot of glow time to get it started at 60 degrees in the shop... it should be fun in the cold.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'93 Chevy 6.2 broke again...

;Sweet Time for you to change your signature too...... '93 Cheby 6.2 fixed till I break it again......;Poke :D

I'm not that familiar with GM products but I would venture to guess that the hard starting may be due to the timing being too retarded if the glow plugs are working correctly or something else, 17.5:1 is in line for a diesel.

IIRC the Ford IDI is 22:1 or 22.5:1 and the PSD is around 16:1 - 17.5:1 (can't remember and can't find the specs right now but I'm sure sombody will correct me)

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I'll leave the sig alone until it makes it through the test drive... The 6.2/6.5 are very similar to the for IDI in the fact that they are also an IDI. Stock compression is 21:1... so 17.5 is low. Most go to 18:1 or slightly higher.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Well... Update: It runs well! The low CR makes for an interesting cold start situation, but it starts unassisted to -5. The only problem so far is an oil leak... It appears to be from a very expensive sensor of all things! Oh well.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... Update: It runs well! The low CR makes for an interesting cold start situation, but it starts unassisted to -5. The only problem so far is an oil leak... It appears to be from a very expensive sensor of all things! Oh well.

;Sweet Cool man, feels good doesn't it.

BTW don't feel too bad about the oil leak. I just pooched the rear main seal I installed on my Powerstroke when I had it out last week:idiot: ......She's marking her territory everywhere she goes for now.:eek:

Gotta pull the tranny to fix it ASAP. Makes me wanna:cry: