It finally happened...

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The Crossbreed finally laid down on me. After sitting all night, it cranks for at least 30 seconds before trying to fire. Last time, I was agrivated, and ran the battery down. Did try priming it on the lift pump one time, but have no idea if that helped.

My first guess is the lift pump, as I have no idea when/if it was replaced.

Any other Gen 1 geniuses have suggestions?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I know alot of 1st gen guys are upgrading to a piston lift pump versus stock. I don't know if it would help you out or not. The IP could be getting worn out too. When it fires does it run rough?

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
If your crossbreed consist of Cummins power plant in a Ford truck then I'd check the ford fuel lines from the lift pump back to the tank for air leakage.Or possibly the pickup tube in the tank.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your crossbreed consist of Cummins power plant in a Ford truck then I'd check the ford fuel lines from the lift pump back to the tank for air leakage.Or possibly the pickup tube in the tank.
iirc...the crossbreed is a chebby body on a durge chassis.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
When it first fires, it is fairly rough, until give it some throttle. It will grumble a little, then run like it used to. After thie first time, it will start good all day long, and runs fine, until it sits overnight.

This weekend, I'm going to put the charger on it, change the fuel filter, and see if the lift pump will prime manually.

It seems, when it rains, it pours. Yesterday morning, and this morning, my 84 Jeep XJ refused to get out of bed, too.-cuss I figured the battery had gone south, since it always shows good charge. Yesterday evening, it fired right up, and ran like a champ. Tonight, it did too. Now I have the battery charger tied up on it.

Did I mention 2 flat tires on the '62?:puke: Just got the starter fixed, when the brake line went to leaking. Now I can't keep round tires on it.:frustrate

rubberfish

Reaction score
When it first fires, it is fairly rough, until give it some throttle. It will grumble a little, then run like it used to.
This comment, and your first post, have me thinking
there's air leaking into the system somewhere.
Have a good look around at all the obvious places.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Tougher than John Wayne's toilet paper....

Finally got off my lazy posterior, and ordered a lift pump. Delphi pump off Evilbay was half the price of anything to be had locally.

Too busy, between work, shop cleanup, wrecker prep, and other commitments, to get it installed.(If I had one more hobby, I'd have to give up sleep completely.) Finally paid a buddy of mine to it done.

Runs like a champ, pulls like a monster, and dominated another night of wreckering at the Osborne County Speedway.

If I didn't like the ole wreck so much, I'd add H20/****, or propane/NOX, just for the adrenaline rush.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, which LP did u get? The low pressure piston pump or the stock high pressure piston pump for a second gen, or the stock 1st gen diaphraghm LP?? You WILL blow a gasket in the IP with the HP second gen piston pump and end up dumping fuel straight into the crank case.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your for sure getting air in your system, ford idis are bad with this too. Almost all of mine have leaked air in around the fuel filter causing it also to loose prime overnight then its a behotch in the morning to get going. Check their and work your way back. The water seperator could be it also.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, which LP did u get?

Twas a stock Gen1 pump, as far as I know.

your for sure getting air in your system, ford idis are bad with this too. Almost all of mine have leaked air in around the fuel filter causing it also to loose prime overnight then its a behotch in the morning to get going. Check their and work your way back. The water seperator could be it also.

:confused:

Uhm....no. The lift pump quit.

It sat for a month, when I moved. Started right up. Never even rolled all the way over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online