it died after 29 years

pegleg

Reaction score
well my yard has 30" of snow and the lift pump stopped working, I'm wondering what point is best to replace it with.and where to buy it at.

Grass Hauler

Reaction score
Facet E pump and 70 micron pre filter mounted right in front of the tank valve on the frame rail. Easy install and wiring, takes more time to gather the parts. Probably costs about 70$ total. I could get you part numbers and a parts list if you want.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The mechanicl pumps live a long time.. But so does the carrier electric lift pump found on those diesel refer gen sets on all the semi trailers. They suck fuel from under the trailer all the way up to the front top of the rig.. Now thats a succker. No other electric pump I know of can do that and do it year after year. Many of us members here have switched over to this type electric pump and not one of us has any second thoughts about it. Will they last 29 years.. Probably not but whos going to be counting. Not me. My concern with a meachanicl pump has always been that the engine must be cranking for it to push fuel. Changing a fuel filter can cause a hard start. Then cranking on the starter takes life out of it. I have done many filter changes and some just don't bleed air correctly. And then I'm cranking and bleeding air till it starts. So for my feeling its an electric lift pump from a member genlightning. He offers a great deal on something that has proven time and time again to work and work well. I do understand the feeling of why change when something has worked for 29 years. But why not upgrade to something thats going to help you truck stay on the road longer and cheaper. For me the cost of a mechanicl lift pump compared to the cost of a starter is lots of money and time. I do not like removing a starter no matter what kind of lifetime warranty it has. Its me laying under the truck on the cold working overhead with something thats heavy and we know gravity rules everything. The tinyest piece of dirt falling in your eye ruins the rest of the day.. Or the rest of your life. I wear protection but stuff happens...

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to remember to reinforce the comment above: the Facet/Carrier electric pumps are used on ****** trailers. They have to be dependable, otherwise frozen transport stuff doesn't stay frozen, and you won't get your fries at McDonald's :eek:

The failure mode of the Facet pumps are better too, when they don't work, they can't fill your crankcase with diesel fuel.

Whichever way you go for replacement, stay warm back there, sounds pretty cold and snowy

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Facet E pump and 70 micron pre filter mounted right in front of the tank valve on the frame rail. Easy install and wiring, takes more time to gather the parts. Probably costs about 70$ total. I could get you part numbers and a parts list if you want.

Is there an article on this? For frame rail pump? Parts?

This is cool...
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...pump-with-a-Facet-Duralift-electric-fuel-pump

But being a nutty VW guy, I like the frame mounted stuff.. :)

Last edited:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
If you do keep the mechanical pump I would buy it from Ford or IH. Not something you want to go cheap on ;Sweet

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, when replacing or blocking of the mechanical fuel pump, do you need to drain the oil?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well my yard has 30" of snow and the lift pump stopped working, I'm wondering what point is best to replace it with.and where to buy it at.
I just did this three days ago...The one prior (Carter) lasted 18 years...I went with another Carter mechanical pump with the upgraded 'bent' arm.
Got it a Pep Boys > 'FREE' replacement warranty ;Sweet

BTW > with a mirror and flashlight look in where the pump-arm goes, bump the engine over until you see a 1" wide 'machined/shiny' surface > that's the low part of the cam-lobe...your new 'bent arm' Lift-Pump will now easily go in.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the thread in my sig for info on the Carrier/Facet pumps.
I will say, 'if' I was to go electric fuel-pump it would be done just like this. ;Sweet
It would appear the Carrier/Facet pump is designed for some serious "sucking" and pushing of fuel...vs being gravity fed as the Holley.
Personally, I wouldn't want to mount the Holley type down on the frame rails...ewww

pegleg

Reaction score
WOW thanks or all the info and the link for the carrier pump it looks like a mecanical pump will be first because it's the only one in my area. but thanks to one and all.