Is Viton hose really that much better?

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Is viton also good for immersion? One day I hope to drop my tanks and super clean them, then replace the shower heads with notched hose as some have mentioned. Eliminate some weak links. Manual tank valves would be nice also, but one step at a time. seems complicated

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only place e run 5/16 for fuel supply is from the filter outlet to the injection pump inlet. Mel has created a fine modified piece for this area. It does away with the olives and thats a good thing.. I believe its braided stainless steel so it wont ever fail on you like the oem line has a manner of doing..

SS Braided lines fail in the same way as any other rubber line. It rots and is affected the same way. The benefit to braided hose it its resistance to chafing. This does not apply so much to teflon lined SS.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is viton also good for immersion?

I'm not sure about that. I know that other brand have specific hose that is rated to be submerged. I have looked at the Goodyear and Gates site and they both have charts on there that list what each type of hose is rated for. After all the feedback here, I decided that there would be no advantage to using Viton.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SS Braided lines fail in the same way as any other rubber line. It rots and is affected the same way. The benefit to braided hose it its resistance to chafing. This does not apply so much to teflon lined SS.

I have heard about this replacement hose before that goes from the fuel filter to the IP. If it gets rid of the need for the olives, I would highly consider purchasing it.

Jake2670

Reaction score
Anyone know if the 6.2L injector returns are the same as 6.9L? I got some gates 1/8" at local parts to replace one that was leaking, then 2 more, now a 4th :-( time to do all, none of 1/8ths have leaked but not sure for how long without clips, mine had none, but found kit that claims to b no clip, but wanting Bio safe, n they don't know, Gates n GoodYear have green stripe that r, but can't find local, n like said, not sure about size n really don't want to have to install clips

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Submersible fuel line will have an SAE30R10 rating. This is what I used. It's only 1', but that was plenty for my tanks.

EDIT: Sorry, that was the wrong size. THIS is the correct one.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some times hoses are lined with the expensive material to make them cheaper and have the chemical resistance required. If it is solid viton and not viton lined absolutely.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On the 6.2, I believe it's smaller.
Also never seen one with clips. Mine doesn't have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake2670

Reaction score
the kit at http://www.accuratediesel.com says they "clamp" free, several other sites seem to have same kit, my CUCV has clamps on its returns, I talked to Tim at AD and said they are 3.5mm ID on the 6.2L, he wasn't sure on BioDiesel compatibility but said he knew the kit was being used on engines running it, it would prob take yrs for Bio to eat em up anyway